Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages displaying icons instead of images

Since updating first to 12.1 and now to 12.2, Messages no longer displays images but instead shows only an icon with a small download icon next to it. I've tried signing out of iCloud and back in again but to no avail.

FWIW, if I double-click the image icon, it will open in Preview. I can click the little download icon and it appears to download (icon replaced with a check box) but still no image appears. And it doesn't seem to matter what image format is sent; same result.

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 8:27 AM

Figured out the solution after a lot of digging through threads here. I'm posting this here for anyone else that runs into the same issue.

When I updated this iMac from Big Sur to Monterey, the updater changed my home folder name by capitalizing the first letter of the folder. Previously, and for as long as I've owned this iMac, the home folder was named "iMac". The Monterey updater changed the name of the folder to "IMac" (note the first letter capitalization).

Everything seemed to work fine except for viewing images inline in Messages. The fix was to:

1. Open System Prefs/Users & Groups
  2. Create a new secondary Admin account
  3. Log out of the primary account and back in using the new secondary Admin account
  4. Re-open Prefs/Users & Groups
  5. Control click the main Admin account user name in the left column and choose "Advanced Options."
  6. Edit the account name and the home directory to match the new home directory name
  7. Click "OK" and log out of the secondary Admin account. Log back in to the primary account.
  8. Problem solved.

More info here on changing account names and home directories: Link

Meanwhile, thanks Monterey installer for being a big pain in the butt!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 8:27 AM in response to ransombb

Figured out the solution after a lot of digging through threads here. I'm posting this here for anyone else that runs into the same issue.

When I updated this iMac from Big Sur to Monterey, the updater changed my home folder name by capitalizing the first letter of the folder. Previously, and for as long as I've owned this iMac, the home folder was named "iMac". The Monterey updater changed the name of the folder to "IMac" (note the first letter capitalization).

Everything seemed to work fine except for viewing images inline in Messages. The fix was to:

1. Open System Prefs/Users & Groups
  2. Create a new secondary Admin account
  3. Log out of the primary account and back in using the new secondary Admin account
  4. Re-open Prefs/Users & Groups
  5. Control click the main Admin account user name in the left column and choose "Advanced Options."
  6. Edit the account name and the home directory to match the new home directory name
  7. Click "OK" and log out of the secondary Admin account. Log back in to the primary account.
  8. Problem solved.

More info here on changing account names and home directories: Link

Meanwhile, thanks Monterey installer for being a big pain in the butt!

Feb 5, 2022 8:23 AM in response to ransombb

ransombb wrote:

Since updating first to 12.1 and now to 12.2, Messages no longer displays images but instead shows only an icon with a small download icon next to it. I've tried signing out of iCloud and back in again but to no avail.

FWIW, if I double-click the image icon, it will open in Preview. I can click the little download icon and it appears to download (icon replaced with a check box) but still no image appears. And it doesn't seem to matter what image format is sent; same result.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7674c851-de78-4174-89cd-71eb622785da

hmmm...

see if there is anything here:

Pictures on imessage thread are not showing up anymore

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251378278?answerId=252678768022#252678768022

Messages displaying icons instead of images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.