Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download macOS Monterey. Apple sites just do into a loop without any option to download.

Where can I download MacOS Monterey? All links on Apple just goes into a loop. No where can I find a download feature. I have a qualified MacBook Air with Sierra and want to update to Monery.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 11:47 AM

If running macOS High Sierra or earlier, you can only download Monterey from the Mac App Store. The Link in the following support document should be opened with Safari and it should in turn open the Mac App Store App to the Monterey entry

Support Document Link-> How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

Direct Link-> Get macOS Monterey

If running macOS Mojave or later, Monterey should be available from the Software Update option in System Preferences.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 11:47 AM in response to esther.turbo

If running macOS High Sierra or earlier, you can only download Monterey from the Mac App Store. The Link in the following support document should be opened with Safari and it should in turn open the Mac App Store App to the Monterey entry

Support Document Link-> How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

Direct Link-> Get macOS Monterey

If running macOS Mojave or later, Monterey should be available from the Software Update option in System Preferences.

Feb 4, 2022 12:33 PM in response to esther.turbo

Two suggestions. Some users have had problem upgrading to Monterey by skipping macOS versions.

I would try first upgrading to High Sierra which you can get here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

If you want to try downloading Monterey open the Terminal app enter the following followed by a Return

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.2

If it does not work what is returned in Terminal?

Feb 5, 2022 10:42 AM in response to esther.turbo

If you are looking to retain data, it is highly recommended that you do not take a massive leap from an old macOS such as Sierra all the way to Monterey but that you make a full backup and upgrade incrementally without skipping macOS versions. There are massive changes to the way things work along the way from Sierra to Monterey. It is unlikely that Apple tested upgrading to Monterey from such an old operating system. Also be sure to check the compatibility of all installed software and remove anything that will break on newer macOS versions. Remove any and all security tools such as Norton / McAfee, etc.

I have witnessed horrific scenarios where a Mac can be bricked. It is far more likely on T2 equipped Intel Macs and especially if using FileVault2 encryption. However, I have had issues upgrading various older macOS versions on pre-T2 equipped Macs as well. Ended up with failures and inability to boot, etc. I would recommend you upgrade to High Sierra first. Then upgrade to Mojave then Catalina and Big Sur then Monterey. I would even go so far as to apply all the patches in between as firmware updates are included. Yes, this takes a lot of time. But it is far more likely to be successful with your data and configurations remaining intact without breaking the operating system.

If you don't care about the data, download Big Sur, via the How to get old versions of macOS link, burn a 16GB+ flash drive installer, then boot from the installer USB (hold option when powering on) and nuke and pave the system from scratch (delete the internal disk completely). Then install and fully patch Big Sur and upgrade to Monterey and fully patch.

How to get old versions of macOS

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

Feb 5, 2022 9:44 AM in response to lllaass

I seem to have the same problem. That is that there is no button for download available on any of the upgrade possibilities. The only upgrade I could make was from El Capitan to OSSierra 10.12.6. I thought by doing so I might then see the upgrade button to higher versions. Alas, nothing there. So my question is how do i get access to upgrades higher then Sierra?? And again please I know that the page is found by the link provided above, but it is just that there is no download button available/visible on these pages.

I hope someone can help

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Feb 27, 2022 4:06 PM in response to James Brickley

It would appear that none of the Apple people are actually testing the links and paths they are providing here. The path for the URL in Safari then opens an App Store session, and when users select Get it opens the System Preferences >Software Update function which fails.... just as noted at the beginning of this thread. Even the Terminal thread does not pull down the file.

Please provide a direct links, and have the courtesy to test what you provide in advance to assure it works as you expect it to work. My time is valuable to me too.

Where can I download macOS Monterey. Apple sites just do into a loop without any option to download.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.