Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Movies

My Apple TV is attached to a 77" 4K TV. We enjoy watching home movies on that TV that are streamed by the Apple TV from my MacBook Pro on the same network. The recent 4K and 1080p videos look great, but the older, lower resolution movies all are enlarged by the Apple TV to fit the screen and have jaggies and don't look good. Our 20 year old movies are 640x480. When I watch them on the MacBook using QuickTime Player, the windows are small and the images are sharp. We'd rather watch a sharp movie in a small window than watch a suboptimal image that fills the screen (at least the 4/3 aspect ratio) on the TV. Can this be accomplished with the Apple TV and big-screen TV? I couldn't find anything in the big-screen menus to help. Thanks.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 6:13 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 5, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the tip. Technically, it works as advertised. However, I just didn't realize how great the difference between watching a small window on my laptop screen at a distance of two feet and watching that small window on a 77" screen from a distance of 12 feet or so. It's just not satisfactory...

I'm trying to up-res the videos with Topaz Video Enhance AI. 200% (1280x960) looks pretty good but 400% doesn't. I'm still experimenting with the settings...

Thanks again for the help.

Home Movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.