Watch 4K movies in the Apple TV app on MacBook Pro

When I try to watch a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) movie on my MacBook Pro (2023), I'm limited to 1080p (and even 720p by default), even though the app's streaming settings are set to 4K.

How can I watch movies in full 4K HDR on my MacBook's built-in display in the Apple TV app, and is it even possible?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 3:24 AM

4K streaming requires:

• content available in 4K,
  • streaming of iTunes Store titles directly from Apple’s servers, not from downloads,
  • a computer capable of 4K, with a 4K or higher resolution screen,
  • a sufficient internet connection for the bandwidth of this type of video quality stream (25 Mbps or more).

Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

The MacBook Pro internal screen may be off lesser resolution (3024×1964?), but I suppose you could connect an external 4K TV or monitor?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 3:24 AM in response to RuslanUrban

4K streaming requires:

• content available in 4K,
  • streaming of iTunes Store titles directly from Apple’s servers, not from downloads,
  • a computer capable of 4K, with a 4K or higher resolution screen,
  • a sufficient internet connection for the bandwidth of this type of video quality stream (25 Mbps or more).

Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

The MacBook Pro internal screen may be off lesser resolution (3024×1964?), but I suppose you could connect an external 4K TV or monitor?

Watch 4K movies in the Apple TV app on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.