Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music no longer syncing to iPhone!!

Both my MacBook pro (2014) and iPhone 11 Pro are upto date with the latest OS. Literally I had been syncing my music to my phone the day before no problem. The next day I changed a couple of albums for more upto date versions. Deleted them from both music on my Mac and on my phone. Then added the new replacement albums to music, all going well. Then went to sync my phone as I usually do hoping to enjoy the new music on my drive later on. Well for the last few days, my phone will make backups to my MacBook, no problem, it goes through to determining which tracks to sync. However ever singe time whether its a wired or wireless hook up I get "The iPhone “*****s iPhone” could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish. To say this is getting infuriating would be an understatement! I've cleared library caches, reset my SMC and PRAM. Been into safe mode but in there my phone isn't showing when connected to the USB. My external drive where my music is is showing up but not my phone. If I unplug the hard drive the phone will suddenly get power but not show up in the finder window. I was wondering if this is normal. But when in normal mode both my hard rive and phone are powered and phone is showing. So I can make back ups of my phone no problem. It just won't sync my music anymore when it did it less that previously 24hrs with no issues whatsoever. My external music library is over 7600 albums and 121,704 songs. But i'm only trying to sync a couple of hundred songs, which has never been an issue before! Can anybody help????

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:07 AM

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac  and this one is very destructive to the OS.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 7:07 AM in response to Xavier Cherval

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac  and this one is very destructive to the OS.

Feb 5, 2022 3:29 AM in response to PRP_53

would a full phone reset back to factory settings and update from back up wound do the trick. Then delete all my music from my Mac and start my library from scratch and reload alphabet artists one by one work do you think? Major ball ache as it usually takes around 124 hours to Resync my music library. Or do you think this failure to sync will always be here until Apple do an update or two?

Feb 5, 2022 4:00 AM in response to Xavier Cherval

Xavier Cherval wrote:

would a full phone reset back to factory settings and update from back up wound do the trick. Then delete all my music from my Mac and start my library from scratch and reload alphabet artists one by one work do you think? Major ball ache as it usually takes around 124 hours to Resync my music library. Or do you think this failure to sync will always be here until Apple do an update or two?

Since the Senior Contributor and self could not get it to work - most other options as per above are risky.

As for when Apple will or will not fixed this issue, that I can not answer.

In good conscience - suggest making the issue known to Apple as per supplied link in previous posting.

Apple Support Ticket

Feb 6, 2022 6:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Did a reinstall of Big Sur after trying to see if a fresh plist file would work (didn’t). After doing that recurved a message saying that a small file needed to be download for my iPhone to communicate with music. Success I thought but nope that didn’t work. So still back at square one! Will be trying out a program to wipe junk files etc next. However to go from working one day and the next not working after hundreds of successful syncs is totally baffling!!!

Feb 7, 2022 1:34 PM in response to PRP_53

Well today I found a solution albeit a complete stroke of luck! Got my phone out ready to wipe it and start again from scratch. I had my phone to automatically sync when connected. So it started to do this. However I had not plugged in my external HDD which contains all my music. I noticed the syncing circle was white and to my amazement the progress bar was saying it was syncing tracks, which it hasn’t done for days. I laughed at this as I openly exclaimed it would have trouble as the drive isn’t plugged in. I then plugged the drive into my MacBook. To my amazement it then flashed up it was going to sync 501 songs into my phone! It duly synced all the missing music onto my phone! I then tried to sync an album normally and the session failed to finish. But when I emulated the sane conditions the music synced. So there appears to be a bug of some kind somewhere which isn’t recognising something in there. I’m going to try unmounting and mounting to see if that works with the drive to save on physically having unplug and plug it back in. So there is a solution of sorts and I have no idea why it works but it’s does and my music is now fully synced again, twice!

Feb 8, 2022 4:44 AM in response to PRP_53

Well it worked a couple of tines I tried the same method and then missed my window and it took all the music off my phone! 🤣🤣🤣 so bit the bullet and erased my phone and started again from scratch. Wiped my Music library clean and deleted the musiclibrary file to start from fresh. Am now reloading my 7600+ albums back on peace meal as music can’t sync hundreds of thousands of songs at once. However it is syncing now with my phone with no trouble whatsoever, which has made me breath a sigh of relief! Just going to be a while to get my whole library back onto my phone. So I found two solutions! 🤣🤣👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Music no longer syncing to iPhone!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.