Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling Sound on MacBook (M1 Air) -2020

I experience random crackling sound on my M1 air. I have it for few months , the issue cannot be ignored especially when talking on Teams Call and receiving that ping sound.

Also happens when listening to Youtube videos on full volume. It also happens when I scroll through a video on Youtube.

It happens randomly at the same time getting frustrated that my first Apple Laptop is causing these issues , thus ruining my Apple experience.- not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware issue and needs to be taken to Apple support ?

Any ideas to solve it would be appreciated, thanks !

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 3:25 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2022 6:56 AM in response to keshav r

Hey keshav r,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're hearing a crackling sound from your M1 MacBook Air. We'd like to help.

We hear that you're saying it seems to be more of a random issue and not specific to applications perhaps. You mentioned it's on full volume. Does it happen if you turn the sound volume down a bit? Do you have any additional peripherals connected to your MacBook Air, such as mic's, Bluetooth devices, headphones, camera's, displays, and so forth? If so, please disconnect them and test for the behavior once more. Does the same thing continue?

Also, if you haven't used a Bluetooth or wired headset with your MacBook, can you connect one to test and see if you still hear the crackling sound? This lets us know if its just the built-in speakers or if its related to multiple audio outlets.

Does restarting seem to help resolve the audio concern at all?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards.

Feb 6, 2022 7:59 AM in response to keshav r

I have noticed that on my M1 Macbook Air, the crackling sound only happens when the laptop is starting to get hot and laggy. Unfortunately, this is far too often. For example, I'm at over 90 degrees C right now and all I'm doing is typing on this window with 6 other tabs open. If I try to watch a YouTube video when it's this hot, it will often crackle.

Feb 6, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Sharon_419

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for getting back.

I did some more attempts to replicate the issue and have found that the crackling occurs on Safari and not on Chrome/Edge/Firefox for YouTube atleast. I was able to find one Youtube video (Given the link at the end ) where I could replicate the issue consistently and the issue occured only on Safari and not on other browsers. I am trying to replicate the Teams issue as well similary.

Please find my reponse within {} below for your suggestions.

We hear that you're saying it seems to be more of a random issue and not specific to applications perhaps. You mentioned it's on full volume. Does it happen if you turn the sound volume down a bit? - {Yes, it does happen at lower volumes also}

Do you have any additional peripherals connected to your MacBook Air, such as mic's, Bluetooth devices, headphones, camera's, displays, and so forth? If so, please disconnect them and test for the behavior once more. Does the same thing continue? {Tried this as well, disconnected all devices, I tried turning off WiFi and Bluetooth also to rule out any radio interferences, still the same issue}

Also, if you haven't used a Bluetooth or wired headset with your MacBook, can you connect one to test and see if you still hear the crackling sound? This lets us know if its just the built-in speakers or if its related to multiple audio outlets. {After being able to recreate the issue as mentioned in the beginning , tried all combinations and the sound occurs on the headset also - Looks more of a software or codec issue }

Does restarting seem to help resolve the audio concern at all? {Unfortunately no}

Reference Video where I could replicate the sound issue :

At the 2 second mark, I hear the click/crackling sound on Safari on Macbook Speaker and the external earphones.Same sound not there when listening on Chrome/Firefox or the downloaded mp3 version of this video. Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for your time and hopinh to hear back for some suggestions !

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Crackling Sound on MacBook (M1 Air) -2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.