Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook air

Have an ID and password that works always with the laptop but not with anything else. Initially I had trouble getting any password to work with the laptop. To resolve the initial problem, I was told to create another password which I did. The new one didn't work on the laptop so I tried the original password again and as stated above it worked. Now when asked for my password on line and I enter the one that works with my laptop it’s usually rejected. The new one occasionally works when I’m asked for a password on line (never works on the laptop). But its inconsistent. I don’t want to go through another hour of frustration creating a third password that may or may not work on everything. I need the laptop more than the other stuff. What can I do?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:41 AM

The password for the Computer when it was first setup is one password.

The there is the User ID and password with controls logging into the Apple Support Community, Apple Store, iCloud etc. and then here https://appleid.apple.com/

The two perform different functions and general the passwords are Not the Same.

6 replies

Feb 7, 2022 9:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you so much. After I read your reply, I found the password I initially used to get the computer open? Still not sure when it should be used but your response was helpful. With Apple insisting there is just one password for everything, I had forgotten that I had initially created a different password. I thank my stars I had entered the initial one in my password monitor. I’ve memorized my usual Apple password.

New macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.