Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall macOS

Hiya, unsure as to what I have done wrong but tried erasing and redo doing the system on our 2018 MacBook Pro. When I was trying to reinstall Monterey it said the disk couldn’t be written on because of a password. So it wouldn’t reinstall. I must if reformatted the Disk incorrectly. So the only way out of the Monterey screen was to turn the Mac off. Once I turned it back on I got a folder with question mark flashing at me. I have tried all of the combination of keys to get back into restore mode but nothing is working. So because I have tried numerous times now, it now starts and sits in the internet connection part with a spinning globe. I have read on here that it can take 5-20mins for disk utility to appear? Is that correct yo wait it out or is there something else I should be doing? Thanks

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:08 PM

Try booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) while the laptop is connected directly to the router using an Ethernet and a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which will bypass any hard to troubleshoot WiFi issues.

If you still have a problem, then try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for two chimes).

If none of this works, then you can try to "Revive" the T2 firmware, but more likely you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware, but this requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 5:08 PM in response to ByrneMaria

Try booting into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) while the laptop is connected directly to the router using an Ethernet and a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter which will bypass any hard to troubleshoot WiFi issues.

If you still have a problem, then try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for two chimes).

If none of this works, then you can try to "Revive" the T2 firmware, but more likely you will need to "Restore" the T2 firmware, but this requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Feb 7, 2022 6:29 AM in response to ByrneMaria

If you are having trouble booting/installing macOS from Internet Recovery Mode and the USB installer (assuming you created the macOS USB installer using Apple's instructions), then I think you need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop. Most other methods of creating a bootable macOS USB installer will likely fail to work.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

The Ethernet connection usually provides a faster more reliable connection plus it bypasses any hard to troubleshoot WiFi issues. If you are having issues with Internet Recovery Mode using WiFi, then definitely try an Ethernet connection to eliminate any possible WiFi issues. A PRAM Reset can sometimes help with Internet Recovery Mode since the Mac may get stuck attempting to access the Apple server in the same manner as the last attempt which failed whereas a PRAM Reset would remove any remnants of the last failed attempt to boot to an Apple server and will possibly use a different method/path.

Feb 7, 2022 1:32 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately after trying all of the above we downloaded the configurator 2 and the revive and restore both didn’t work unfortunately. On the screen of other MacBook it has a locked padlock.

the MacBook Pro is still taking me back to internet recovery which keeps faulting. I have even tried making a bootable macOS with not luck in connecting even through Ethernet. Just a question though would it be better to use the thunderbolt Ethernet connector or shall I just take it to the shop to fix?

Reinstall macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.