Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update runs with no result

Running iMac with OS Big Sur 11.6.2, and I know there's an update for 11.6.3.

In System Preferences, the Software Update icon has a red "1" But when I run Software Update, the display shows perpetual "Checking for Updates."

Until recently, Software Update was offering the upgrade to Monterey, which I have been putting off. Now it doesn't even show Monterey.

I have a new MB Pro on the way. Should I just forget about updating Big Sur?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:56 AM

This issue has been happening for a week or more unresolved in normal methods.

Possible workaround is to restart in Recovery Mode and choose the Reinstall macOS.

This should bring down the latest version of macOS associated with this computer - Big Sur 11.6.3.

This should not touch any setting, preference or personal files.

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 7:56 AM in response to kabaker

This issue has been happening for a week or more unresolved in normal methods.

Possible workaround is to restart in Recovery Mode and choose the Reinstall macOS.

This should bring down the latest version of macOS associated with this computer - Big Sur 11.6.3.

This should not touch any setting, preference or personal files.

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Feb 6, 2022 7:53 AM in response to kabaker

Safe Mode booting clears a bunch of caches and runs some other maintenance tasks. It can resolve bizarre issues and won't hurt anything so it's worth a try.

Try a Safe Mode boot.

1. Fully shutdown the Mac normally to a powered off state.
  2. Hold the Shift key down while powering on and keep holding the Shift key
  3. Let go of Shift to login, and immediately resume holding Shift after you press Return
  4. If you are encrypted with FileVault you will have a second login prompt, repeat step 3
  5. Keep holding shift till you reach the Desktop then you can let go.

You should notice that the Dock no longer has transparency to its background. That's a clear indicator that you entered Safe Mode. Give it a couple of minutes to finish loading everything. You could attempt to check for updates at this point or reboot normally and try again to update.

Software Update runs with no result

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.