Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt hub causes hard restart randomly

Hi!

I've been having some issues with my new MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro. I use an external thunderbolt hub (Anker PowerExpand 5-in-1 Thunderbolt 4 Mini Dock) to connect my screen, audio interface (AU Apollo Twin) and deliver power, and sometimes my computer restarts when either waking or going to sleep. It's hard to determine exactly what's causing it since it only happens sometimes (maybe 3 times the last week). When my computer restarts I'm greeted with the message that my computer had to be restarted because of an error, and then a long error message.

I've run the apple diagnostic tool, and it reports no errors.

I've included the latest error message below, hope it can help shed some light on the issue.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 9:40 AM

Kyrregjerstad wrote:

Hi!
I've been having some issues with my new MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro. I use an external thunderbolt hub (Anker PowerExpand 5-in-1 Thunderbolt 4 Mini Dock) to connect my screen, audio interface (AU Apollo Twin) and deliver power, and sometimes my computer restarts when either waking or going to sleep. It's hard to determine exactly what's causing it since it only happens sometimes (maybe 3 times the last week). When my computer restarts I'm greeted with the message that my computer had to be restarted because of an error, and then a long error message.

I've included the latest error message below, hope it can help shed some light on the issue.

Any suggestions?
<Error.log>

<LLC Bus error from cpu1>

Not all hubs/docks are going to be compatible —

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility:

https://www.anker.com/support

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

to test...

Try a different cable

try a different port

try a different hub

try no hub

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Kyrregjerstad

Kyrregjerstad wrote:

Hi!

Any suggestions?
<Error.log>

<LLC Bus error from cpu1>

Not all hubs/docks are going to be compatible —

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility:

https://www.anker.com/support

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

to test...

Try a different cable

try a different port

try a different hub

try no hub

Feb 6, 2022 4:27 PM in response to Kyrregjerstad

It may also be a compatibility issue between the hub and one or more of the devices connected to that hub. You may need to experiment with various combinations to determine if the hub itself is the issue or some combination of the connected devices.

macOS Monterey has been known to have some hardware compatibility issues (especially related to USB3 drives) and last year the first M1 Macs seemed to have some hardware compatibility issues of their own as well.

Thunderbolt hub causes hard restart randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.