Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange directories and files in trash

I tried to empty my trash. Attached are two screen shots showing directories and files that cannot be deleted. I don't recognize any of these directories or files, and I have no idea how they ended up in the trash. Even after rebooting, rebooting in Safe Mode, these files are apparently loading at start-up, and I cannot delete them. I tried a right click to see if they could be restored to wherever they came from. Does anyone recognize these files, and know where they belong?

MacBook, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 11:54 AM

LRAV8R Said:

"I tried ejecting the Google Drive, and quit Google Drive. Neither of those helped. Still can't delete these directories/files from my trash. I'm using a MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) running Big Sur 11.6."

-------

Start with a New Admin User:

Try creating a new Administrator user. See if it is still seen. If not, it is in this current user. If you wanted to, you could to transfer everything to this new admin, and then trash this user that is giving you the issue.

Important:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 11:54 AM in response to LRAV8R

LRAV8R Said:

"I tried ejecting the Google Drive, and quit Google Drive. Neither of those helped. Still can't delete these directories/files from my trash. I'm using a MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) running Big Sur 11.6."

-------

Start with a New Admin User:

Try creating a new Administrator user. See if it is still seen. If not, it is in this current user. If you wanted to, you could to transfer everything to this new admin, and then trash this user that is giving you the issue.

Important:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Strange directories and files in trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.