Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options for sharing Photos in OS11.5 and 11.6

I have an iCloud connection with the free 5Gb storage space. That is all that I need.

On my devices, I have been able to set up sharing of certain folders of images and these are available for my AppleTV. I use these for screen saver image sets to remind me of My holidays, not some pretty ones that Apple has garnered from professional photographers.

This worked nicely until recently. It still works on an iPad, but that is not where my source images are stored. On my iPad, the settings that make this work are still there, namely …

You see that I haven't turned on iCloud photos of Photo Stream. I don't need these facilities as I don't trust them firstly and secondly they will consume vast amounts of disc space that I do not want to buy.

On my desktop, the similar starting point is as follows…

The Photos option used to have a button with "options" showing and via this I could choose between the three options that are available on the iPad ie 1)iCloud Photos, 2)Photo Stream or 3)Shared albums.

If you turn on the Photos option, the OS then compares your image store with your account disc space and will block any further progress if your account is not big enough to accommodate all of your photos. I don't want the first two options, only the third one. My shared stream will never be larger than 4Gb and thus will fit comfortably within the free 5Gb allocation for an unpaid account.

Please Apple, fix this inconsistency and allow me to continue to enjoy my Macintosh experience, rather than endure it.

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:59 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 6, 2022 9:50 PM in response to Peter Marsh

Which system version is running on your Mac? The options to enable Shared albums have been moved from the System Preferences to the Photos.app.

On your Mac turn the shared albums on in the Photos.app.

• Launch Photos, if it is not running.
  • Go to the main menu bar and click Photos > Preferences.
  • Open the "General" tab, then click "Use as System Photos Library" if this option is not dimmed.
  • Open the "iCloud" tab, then enable "Shared Albums".

Options for sharing Photos in OS11.5 and 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.