Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How often should I restart my iMac?

Hi all,

general opinion question.

I keep my iMac in sleep mode most of the time which I have done on my previous iMac. I’m just wondering do you have a suggestion for how often I should shutdown/restart the iMac to keep it running smoothly, clear the ram etc?

thank you?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 11:56 AM

To me, having read a ton of EtreCheck reports here that record both time since last restart and how much virtual memory (VM) is being used, the amount of RAM installed may make a difference.

Based on what I've seen in those reports, I generally recommend:

• Macs with 4GB RAM probably should be restated every 3-5 days.
  • Macs with 8GB RAM seem OK with 7-14 days before VM starts using over 500MB of swaps.
  • Macs with 16GB, like my 2017 iMac 5K, seem not to give a fat rat's patooty.

You can see Swaps in Activity Monitor faster than by using EtreCheck:

That's my iMac 5K sampled a few minutes ago. I think I last restarted about three weeks ago after returning from a trip. I usually power down when I'm going to be gone more than a day,

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 11:56 AM in response to Sam Thompson

To me, having read a ton of EtreCheck reports here that record both time since last restart and how much virtual memory (VM) is being used, the amount of RAM installed may make a difference.

Based on what I've seen in those reports, I generally recommend:

• Macs with 4GB RAM probably should be restated every 3-5 days.
  • Macs with 8GB RAM seem OK with 7-14 days before VM starts using over 500MB of swaps.
  • Macs with 16GB, like my 2017 iMac 5K, seem not to give a fat rat's patooty.

You can see Swaps in Activity Monitor faster than by using EtreCheck:

That's my iMac 5K sampled a few minutes ago. I think I last restarted about three weeks ago after returning from a trip. I usually power down when I'm going to be gone more than a day,

How often should I restart my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.