Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure a Mac Mail POP client for gmail - client and server authentication

I am no longer able to configure a Mac Mail POP client account for Gmail Email accounts without resorting to allowing "Access to less secure apps" or using App Passwords on the server side. IMAP is easy.

Simple client-server operation:

Mac Mail client & Gmail server operate in such a way that no Email is ever deleted from the server.

The server leaves client downloaded messages on the server and makes all mail available to multiple clients regardless of whether or not mail was previously downloaded. All server mail and associated attachments on the server are dowloaded and stored locally on each client device.

Is it possible to make a Mac Mail POP client work with Gmail without allowing "Access to less secure apps" or using App Passwords?

How are the client account Incoming and Outgoing server fields filled in?

How is the authentication handshake done?

The above seems made for a POP client but could an IMAP client work as well?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 9:52 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 11, 2022 8:57 PM in response to smread

Simple client-server operation:
Mac Mail client & Gmail server operate in such a way that no Email is ever deleted from the server.
The server leaves client downloaded messages on the server and makes all mail available to multiple clients regardless of whether or not mail was previously downloaded. All server mail and associated attachments on the server are dowloaded and stored locally on each client device.

I'm not sure why you want POP if the above is what you want. That is how IMAP works.

What have you tried?

In order to create a POP account, you have to enter bogus information for the initial account setup. That will cause it to go into a manual setup mode. You can then change the type and the correct credentials. However, I don't know if it will contact Gmail's authorization system.

Mar 15, 2022 3:34 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I missed it for so long - gave up too early.

I am familiar with using a bogus password to assess client POP mail setup and using less secure apps on the server end.

I manually download all mail and, for arguments sake, assume that no client mail is ever deleted.

On the server end I have POP enabled for all mail (even for mail that has already been downloaded) and Imap disabled.

Still, configuring a POP client on a new computer only downloads what other POP clients haven't (no Recent used).

Yes, my simple client-server operation does fit Imap except for two potential problems:

1: Will an iMap Email deletion from my phone cause that Email to be deleted from the Mac Mail client iMap account?

2: Will all server Email up to the last download be available on the Mac Mac Mail client even without Internet access?

The generic Imap client operation that I'm aware of has Yes to former and No the the letter questions. If the Mac client can be configured to behave otherwise, on both counts, then a Mac Mail Imap account is indeed my solution.

How to configure a Mac Mail POP client for gmail - client and server authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.