Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Apple Mail

I am using Ventura on an iMac Pro. The other day my Charter/Spectrum mail account would not send mail. It's setup as a POP account, which tech support said they do not support any longer and was no help. Apple was no help either with my call; both told me to call the other.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could create new server settings using IMAP. I found the settings on Spectrum's website but in trying to do it on Apple Mail was difficult, frustrating, and I would rather not start from scratch and lose all the mail in my Charter/Spectrum accounts. Currently using Thunderbird, which was a breeze to setup but I still like the interface of Apple Mail better. After all this time, you'd think Apple Mail wouldn't still be so clunky to setup.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 7:55 AM

Motyoj wrote:

I am using Ventura on an iMac Pro. The other day my Charter/Spectrum mail account would not send mail. It's setup as a POP account, which tech support said they do not support any longer and was no help. Apple was no help either with my call; both told me to call the other.
Anyway, I was wondering if I could create new server settings using IMAP. I found the settings on Spectrum's website but in trying to do it on Apple Mail was difficult, frustrating, and I would rather not start from scratch and lose all the mail in my Charter/Spectrum accounts. Currently using Thunderbird, which was a breeze to setup but I still like the interface of Apple Mail better. After all this time, you'd think Apple Mail wouldn't still be so clunky to setup.

IMAP is consider the default server setting these days, this is how you sync across devices.

Mail set up wizard Mail - Official Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Moving your current POP mailboxes to "On My Mac" is how you would preserve old email. For example: create a folder called "Old-inbox" or some such...

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Motyoj

Motyoj wrote:

IMAP is consider the default server setting these days, this is how you sync across devices.

Mail set up wizard Mail - Official Apple Support

Moving your current POP mailboxes to "On My Mac" is how you would preserve old email. For example: create a folder called "Old-inbox" or some such...

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Problems with Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.