Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro M1 - every app stuck on ‘loading’ - setup from old ipad

Setting up new iPad Pro M1 - from the present ipad pro 2.

All the apple apps downloaded fine, the iOS/iPadOS, all good.

Tested trying to download a completely fresh app from the app store - came down like lightning. No issues.

But, the hundreds of Gb of purchased apps, and couple of hundred Gb of GarageBand song files, stuck.

First, it was stuck at ‘waiting’. Ok, I restarted the iPad Pro M1, now they are all stuck at ‘loading’.

I have no clue from here. It’s like the internal process that brings the apps personal to the user from their old ipad to this new one, is stuck in a loop. The tiny swirling circle top right corner, indicating boatloads of stuff is downloading (usually a clue Apple is secretly sneaking down some code!), is going almost constantly though.

Two days of this. Ideas? My use is stalled. Old ipad pro2 I don’t wantto mess with, in case. New one, no apps except std Apple ones.

Open to suggestions…wifi is 100%, had it in a room with 75Mb/s wifi, right beside hub, nada came down.

This, is after it sat there initially saying ‘time to complete, 4 hours’. In fact that was 48 hours ago!

Clue me in people.

thanks

irm/rg

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:05 PM

It’s okay, I got the issue sorted out. In case it happens to others, what I had to do was erase all settings and content - the ‘nuclear’ option in some respects, but that would be an overly-dramatic characterisation. IE having full backup on Apple iCloud, this was not the terrible thing it would otherwise have been.

Why did it happen? Well the old iPad Pro 2 was still on iPadOS 15.2 ish, and the new one booted up fresh from purchase off the previous owner, into iPadOS 15.3 which is about all I can offer as a guess. Maybe the first run-through just had a glitch, I dunno.

What I should say is, there is no comparison with the week to two weeks spent trying to upgrade the hard drive on my microsoft PC, with an SSD - which is essentially the hard bit of replacing a computer or computing device. This, even with a glitch was easier and less sweat, than that.

Plus I have to observe one more thing - and I criticise Apple plenty when stuff’s not right - the M1 iPad Pro is a really excellent device to run Apple’s baby DAW on (the chopped-down GarageBand ). The iPad Pro 2, was struggling on 16 tracks/instruments, etc…I just ran the self-same song in GB that was bringing that older device to a halt, having increased/doubled the number of instruments and tracks - right to 32…but there’s more…

…then I left it running in the background, playing the 32-track song that the old ipad would have exploded at, and pulled up Cubasis 3.3 with the 40-track song that also killed the old ipad. Both running at the same time, I managed to force the GarageBand instance, to not play properly, the 25th track I was recording as Cubasis 3.3 with the 40-track ipad pro2-busting song, was blaring away. The GB song still played, just the MIDI track I was presently recording, did not ring out although it did record correctly, the MIDI.

Look, there are negatives, but Apple’s backup/update/clone methodology is essentially solid. It does hit stalling points, but if you have a backup bang-up-to-date especially on Apple’s own iCloud, you can run at the task of replacing your hardware, all day long and with care, not do any damage to your data and apps and device in the process.

First, do no harm , Apple have succeeded there in the main, regards users replacing hardware without massive amounts of tech support. That does not happen by accident.

I also edited a midi block while in GB, while the Cub3 40-track ball-buster was playing in the background (without crackles), and there was no ‘optimization’ task that GB forced me to wait for.

In short, this iPad Pro M1 has exceeded my expectations, for the music-creation purpose I have bought it for. This is a proper measure for me, these tasks - and oh yes, I screen-recorded the whole thing in video using the screen recording function, while all this was going on, too.

Come on, that’s very impressive.

My best, take care all, got through this initial issue, with guidance from youtuber vids, and this community. Pic below - full 32 tracks possible in GB iOS/iPadOS, no ‘+’ sign at the bottom is the hint!…can’t add more tracks…now, will that be doubled to 64 in the light of M1 iPad Pro being this capable?!…

irm aka richard getts on itunes etc.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 7:05 PM in response to sleekitwan

It’s okay, I got the issue sorted out. In case it happens to others, what I had to do was erase all settings and content - the ‘nuclear’ option in some respects, but that would be an overly-dramatic characterisation. IE having full backup on Apple iCloud, this was not the terrible thing it would otherwise have been.

Why did it happen? Well the old iPad Pro 2 was still on iPadOS 15.2 ish, and the new one booted up fresh from purchase off the previous owner, into iPadOS 15.3 which is about all I can offer as a guess. Maybe the first run-through just had a glitch, I dunno.

What I should say is, there is no comparison with the week to two weeks spent trying to upgrade the hard drive on my microsoft PC, with an SSD - which is essentially the hard bit of replacing a computer or computing device. This, even with a glitch was easier and less sweat, than that.

Plus I have to observe one more thing - and I criticise Apple plenty when stuff’s not right - the M1 iPad Pro is a really excellent device to run Apple’s baby DAW on (the chopped-down GarageBand ). The iPad Pro 2, was struggling on 16 tracks/instruments, etc…I just ran the self-same song in GB that was bringing that older device to a halt, having increased/doubled the number of instruments and tracks - right to 32…but there’s more…

…then I left it running in the background, playing the 32-track song that the old ipad would have exploded at, and pulled up Cubasis 3.3 with the 40-track song that also killed the old ipad. Both running at the same time, I managed to force the GarageBand instance, to not play properly, the 25th track I was recording as Cubasis 3.3 with the 40-track ipad pro2-busting song, was blaring away. The GB song still played, just the MIDI track I was presently recording, did not ring out although it did record correctly, the MIDI.

Look, there are negatives, but Apple’s backup/update/clone methodology is essentially solid. It does hit stalling points, but if you have a backup bang-up-to-date especially on Apple’s own iCloud, you can run at the task of replacing your hardware, all day long and with care, not do any damage to your data and apps and device in the process.

First, do no harm , Apple have succeeded there in the main, regards users replacing hardware without massive amounts of tech support. That does not happen by accident.

I also edited a midi block while in GB, while the Cub3 40-track ball-buster was playing in the background (without crackles), and there was no ‘optimization’ task that GB forced me to wait for.

In short, this iPad Pro M1 has exceeded my expectations, for the music-creation purpose I have bought it for. This is a proper measure for me, these tasks - and oh yes, I screen-recorded the whole thing in video using the screen recording function, while all this was going on, too.

Come on, that’s very impressive.

My best, take care all, got through this initial issue, with guidance from youtuber vids, and this community. Pic below - full 32 tracks possible in GB iOS/iPadOS, no ‘+’ sign at the bottom is the hint!…can’t add more tracks…now, will that be doubled to 64 in the light of M1 iPad Pro being this capable?!…

irm aka richard getts on itunes etc.

iPad Pro M1 - every app stuck on ‘loading’ - setup from old ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.