Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Not Ejected Properly - All of a sudden...

OK, I see this has been an issue that rears its head every now and then. When I searched for this a response came back dated 2013, so that's ancient history.

MacMini running Monterey 12.2. Just updated the other day; prior it was Big Sur 11.6.3. About a week or so ago, when the computer goes to sleep at night, I get an error message upon awakening that my primary hard drive (an external 2TB NVMe) connected via Thunderbolt 3 port was "not ejected properly".

There have been no issues so far other than this message. The drive is plugged in and has been plugged in since new earlier in 2021. Don't even know where or how to address this issue.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 12:22 AM

Try with Energy Preferences set as shown, should fix.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 9, 2022 7:43 AM in response to hcsitas

I've actually had that box ticked forever. So, that's not the issue.

On a lark, last night instead of putting the Mac to sleep, I turned it off (power down); removed the Lightning 3 cable, and re-inserted it.

I recall that on a backup drive, I had a bad cable that did the same thing. This particular drive is in an OWC Envoy Express enclosure where the cord is built in. But we'll see if removing it from the Mac and re inserting it with a power on reset is sufficient.

Mar 7, 2022 4:26 PM in response to mdsalemi

I also have an OWC Envoy Express (connected always to an iMac 24" M1 running Monterey 12.2), and I don't get the "Disk 'data' was not ejected properly" warning on a cold boot or restart, I only get it when waking up from sleep mode.

The thing that bothers me is that the disk is named "OWC1TB," but when the warning comes up it refers to it as "data." I've never had a disk or thumb-drive called "data," so I was concerned that something sinister might be happening... but since it looks like this is a somewhat common issue, I'll stop worrying about that at least.

By the way, when you say "Lightning 3," don't you actually mean "Thunderbolt 3"? And do you have a 2021-or-newer Mac? Since Thunderbolt 4 is such a new thing, I figured it's probably related to the new Macs' implementation of it, and has less (or nothing) to do with the drive itself. If it's the drive, it seems like it wouldn't have just started this week, it would have been happening since I bought the drive in early January. (These OWC drives are really pricey, too, so it would be a bummer if it turned out to be that.)

Thanks...

Disk Not Ejected Properly - All of a sudden...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.