Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Get old admin back

Question:

Q:

I reset admin name. All my files are gone after restarting but applications and Safari bookmarks still available. How do I restore my files?!

I changed the admin name using advanced settings in the Users section. It prompted me to restart my computer and I lost all my files, accounts, and photos. It looks like a total reset except my applications (Microsoft Word, Spotify) are still here and so are my Safari bookmarks. When I open Microsoft Word it looks like I just downloaded it making me completely go through the introduction process.

Does anyone know how to get old admin back please share video b’cause it’s hard to follow steps. i go through steps but it could find anything as given steps.

Thanks

#SOS

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 5:35 PM

mansi0310 wrote:

Question:

Q:
I reset admin name. All my files are gone after restarting but applications and Safari bookmarks still available. How do I restore my files?!
I changed the admin name using advanced settings in the Users section. It prompted me to restart my computer and I lost all my files, accounts, and photos. It looks like a total reset except my applications (Microsoft Word, Spotify) are still here and so are my Safari bookmarks. When I open Microsoft Word it looks like I just downloaded it making me completely go through the introduction process.
Does anyone know how to get old admin back please share video b’cause it’s hard to follow steps. i go through steps but it could find anything as given steps.

Thanks
#SOS

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 5:35 PM in response to mansi0310

mansi0310 wrote:

Question:

Q:

Thanks
#SOS

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

Feb 8, 2022 6:51 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

MacOS is a multiple-User system. User files are store in a directory name Users, in a sub-directory named with the UserShortName

/Users

YourUserShortName

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

YourSpousesUserShortName

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

YourChildsUserShortName

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

YourDogsUserShortName

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

and so on.

Your files are NOT moved when you rename a User.

How Get old admin back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.