Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

terminal command not found

Hi. I am trying to create an El Capitan boot usb drive. The InstallMacOSX.pkg file in in my application folder on my iMac24. The usb drive is formatted and called OSX

When I run the line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSX --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

I am getting a response from terminal:

sudo: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

I am not conversant with terminal and am using the above code from the apple support site. Clearly I have something wrong, but can any kind person please advise me what, and I have been looking at this code for an hour now and cannot see what the issue is

Thanks

A

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 6:10 AM

Upgrade it to Snow Leopard and then use the El Capitan installer. Alternatively, use a newer Mac to create the thumbdrive, start up from it on the old one, and erase or repartition the internal drive.

(213910)

Similar questions

4 replies

terminal command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.