Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old contacts in iMessage issue

Just noticed the other day, went to compose a new iMessage on my Mac, OS 15, typed in the first letter of name and as usual a list comes up, a contact in there I deleted over a year ago and that I do not want to see.

Checked same on iPhone, no mention of contact. Checked Contacts on Mac, no mention of contact, Spotlight search, no mention, great.

Signed out of iMessage, deleted relating folders in Finder then signed back in, contact still there. So, apparently the contact is not in iCloud, Exchange or to be found on any device, but still showing in iMessage.

Driving me nuts trying to fix this but so far seems impossible, any ideas?

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:43 AM

Does the same thing happen when restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time -Normal.

Does the issue present in this mode ?

If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 4:43 AM in response to thelogger

Does the same thing happen when restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time -Normal.

Does the issue present in this mode ?

If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

Old contacts in iMessage issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.