Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download amazon music songs onto iPod

Been down this rabbit hole ? I simply want transfer songs onto my terrific iPod classic , from Amazon music or even Apple music , without using a worthless 3rd party app like Tunelf , which won't work anyway. HELP

iPod Classic

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 10:48 AM

10 replies

Feb 12, 2022 2:45 AM in response to Peter Schiffer

Wow! This discussion seems to have gone haywire.

Things are not as complex or futile as they seem.

Let's begin with some basics in order to clear up the obvious (to me) misunderstandings. Ignoring anyone's preferences or bias towards any term I use here, it's important that everyone understands what is meant by a specific term (or word) but so far, that isn't happening. So let's try the following definitions to see whether it helps:

• Apple Music - a subscription service to stream music. It cannot be used on an iPod Classic
    • Amazon Music - much the same as Apple Music - a subscription service that cannot be used on an iPod Classic
    • iTunes on Windows 10 or 11 - still used on Windows PCs
    • iTunes on Windows 7 or 8 - still in use but with limitations. Ask if you need to know
    • iTunes on Mac; still used on older Macs, using OS Mojave or earlier. On Mac with OS Catalina or later, there is no iTunes, so you use Finder instead. (I don't have a Mac, so there's not much more I can tell you)
    • Purchased music - in digital form; MP3s from Amazon (see below about .zip files) and m4a (AAC) from the iTunes Store. Both can be added to the iPod Classic, from a computer, using iTunes or Finder, as appropriate
    • Purchased music - from CDs (compact discs) - rip (copy) into an iTunes Library (or Finder) and then copy to the iPod Classic
    • Music app - refers to the app on more modern iPods, such as the iPod Touch. Used to play music, stored on the device, including your purchases. No such thing on an iPod Classic (as far as I'm concerned)
    • iPod Classic - there's not much more that it does other than play music, so avoid using the term "Apple Music" since the Classic doesn't have the Music app (inappropriately referred to by far too many people as Apple Music) and cannot use Apple Music (the subscription service)
    • iTunes Music - I avoid the term since it leads to confusion. Likewise, Amazon Music, when misused, leads to confusion. Besides, neither Amazon nor Apple "make" music. It's not "their" music, it's the artist's music
    • Format - the type of digital file - MP3, AAC, flac, wav etc. More on that below

Now that we have that in mind:

• All your purchased music can be added to the iPod Classic, providing it is in your iTunes Library and in an appropriate format. MP3s, AAC(m4a) and even .wav files can be used on the Classic (but wav should be avoided). You cannot play or add .flac files to an iPod Classic (but you shouldn't come across them too often). If you do, you will need to convert them to another format such as MP3
    • Zip files: when you buy several tracks from Amazon, they usually get downloaded to your Windows computer in a zip file (although the icon for it will look like a folder (with a zip in it). With iTunes, once downloaded, use Windows Explorer to right-click the folder and select Extract All from the pop-up menu. Windows will create a folder for these songs and add the individual song files to it. At this time you can choose where that folder will be located (ask if you need to know). Now that the folder (with the song files in it) is in its final location you then use Tunes' top bar menu File/Add Folder to Library to navigate to and select the unpacked folder. Click on the Select Folder button and that's it. I do not know the precise procedure for Mac
    • if you require specific steps for anything mentioned here, but for a Mac using any version of their operating system (OS), please ask. Others will be able to help with that where I haven't.

Feb 11, 2022 6:12 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I appreciate the help , but it’s not as easy as all that .

To be clear , I’m buying music , trying to transfer to iPod .

When I purchase an mp3 song from Amazon , and then download it , it shows up as a zip file . There it sits . I have Apple Music , but I don’t subscribe , I have Amazon music .

I’ve tried dragging file into iPod listed as a device , doesn’t happen ; I’ve also looked under recently added , it’s not there . This used to be so easy .

Feb 11, 2022 6:20 AM in response to Peter Schiffer

If you drag the Amazon .mp3 file into Apple Music it will appear in the listing there. Songs purchased from the iTunes/Apple Music Store will appear there automatically. Then you can sync your iPod either with the entire song list or with a playlist.

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xHBayUHlI

Feb 10, 2022 9:29 AM in response to Peter Schiffer

tutingtest did say 'iTunes/Music' - i.e. Apple Music which functions much the same as iTunes.

If you are subscribing to Apple Music+ you can stream or download songs, but you cannot copy them or move them to another device since this would defeat the point of their being on subscription. This means that you can download them again to an iPod Touch but you cannot move them to any other iPod.

Songs which you have actually purchased can be transferred to an iPod.

I would expect songs from an Amazon subscription to have the same prohibition for the same reason.

Feb 11, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I do appreciate your help , Roger , but you’re skipping over details . I know how to simply drag an mp3 file into [Itunes] . That’s not what I’m asking. When I buy the song , an mp3 file , it automatically converts to a zip file . When double click the zip file to open , it just creates a file folder . No mp3 anything . Im guessing I need a converter app , is this true ?

Feb 11, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Peter Schiffer

I've bought albums from Amazon music, though it was some time back, and didn't have any difficulties with it. I probably did it with the Amazon Music app, and as I remember it offers you the choice of downloading directly to iTunes or to the Desktop (or your Downloads folder).

As to the weird effect you're getting I can only suggest you try Amazon Support.

How can I download amazon music songs onto iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.