Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Connection with captive network

Connection with captive network

Is it possible to connect to a captive network and how to do it? I’ve tried Wi-Fi and cable but nothing works S I need to open a browser and filling codes and this is not possible on Apple TV

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:01 AM

That is indeed not possible directly for any model Apple TV.

In a roundabout way, it is possible to use your own travel router in between your devices and the captive network. Then the travel router takes the captive portal part, and your devices connect to your own travel router in a non-captive way. As the name suggests, quite convenient for travelers and other users that want to connect to various networks.

Alternatively, it is also possible to enter the portal credentials semi-permanently through a device profile, as configured through the Configurator Mac app. More suitable for corporate or educational institution settings, due to the semi-permanent nature (no on-device interface for it).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 7:01 AM in response to orelius

That is indeed not possible directly for any model Apple TV.

In a roundabout way, it is possible to use your own travel router in between your devices and the captive network. Then the travel router takes the captive portal part, and your devices connect to your own travel router in a non-captive way. As the name suggests, quite convenient for travelers and other users that want to connect to various networks.

Alternatively, it is also possible to enter the portal credentials semi-permanently through a device profile, as configured through the Configurator Mac app. More suitable for corporate or educational institution settings, due to the semi-permanent nature (no on-device interface for it).

Mar 15, 2022 4:37 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I'm looking for details on how this new captive portal sign-in for AppleTV actually works.

The Apple release notes simply state it can now be done.

What is the workflow / user interface process step-by-step to login with a public Wi-Fi portal such as in a hotel?

Can this be simulated on a home network or you must have an actual captive portal running in order to see how it works?

(Asking because I would like to try this out and be able to help my clients do this step by step when they travel without having to go to a hotel myself just to test everything)

Apple TV Connection with captive network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.