Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey download problem

I can't download the new macOS Monterey because I don't have enough space on my computer it says, please advise

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 8:02 PM

Some people have been having problems going from Sierra to Monterey. So doing it two steps is safer. If you have a lot of photos on your computer you can move them to iCloud to get more free space.Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Here is where you can get Mojave.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 8:02 PM in response to Brittanyb3487

Some people have been having problems going from Sierra to Monterey. So doing it two steps is safer. If you have a lot of photos on your computer you can move them to iCloud to get more free space.Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Here is where you can get Mojave.How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Feb 9, 2022 8:29 PM in response to Brittanyb3487

Brittanyb3487 Said:

"macOS Monterey download problem: I can't download the new macOS Monterey because I don't have enough space on my computer it says, please advise"

-------

Downloading the Installer:

Can't download the installer to the computer? If so, download the installer to an external storage device. Then, transfer it from the device to the desktop. See if that does the job. You might need to use this adapter to easily connect it to a Mac without USB-A: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Feb 9, 2022 8:42 PM in response to Brittanyb3487

Brittanyb3487 wrote:

Yes I am running Sierra. So just search for Mojave and try and install that first? Why wouldn't the software just replace my current software? I am not sure why it needs so much more space it seems like its installing a whole new one which is why I don't have room? I could be wrong. I'll check into the link on freeing up space though.

The installer package arrives "some assembly required". It must be unpackaged and re-sorted locally before it overwrites.

Feb 9, 2022 9:34 PM in response to my ginger

my ginger Said:

"That is a good suggestion. But I have a question. The down load site redirects to the App Store Which in turn will download to the Application folder. No matter what the browser preferences have for downloads, And the AppSore has no option to change where it's downloaded to. How do you get it to an external drive?"

-------

Try this App: App Store To External Hard Drive - Apple Store

macOS Monterey download problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.