Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019). When I bought it the icon for the Macintosh HD appeared in the top right corner as with all my previous MacBooks and My iMac 27” desktop. Somehow, over the last few months that icon has disappeared. I don’t use

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019).

When I bought it the icon for the Macintosh HD appeared in the top right corner as with all my previous MacBooks and My iMac 27” desktop.

Somehow, over the last few months that icon has disappeared.  I don’t use the MacBook all that often, only when I am away from home or lecturing.  It is rather inconvenient especially when using Photoshop upon opening and looking for files, which I have always stored in the Macintosh HD.  It is still there located in ‘Computer - Heather’s MacBook Pro’.  However it resists all my attempts to put it on the desktop.  How can I solve this problem please?

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 11:05 PM

Check the Finder preferences "Finder --> Preferences" and make sure "Hard Disks" is checked on the first tab ("General" tab).

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/72025-put-missing-drive-icon-on-mac-desktop/

You can also add items to the Sidebar as well. Click the "Sidebar" tab in the Finder preferences (third tab).

If you have iCloud enabled for syncing, then perhaps it is changing the behavior of the Desktop which may affect whether the drive icon is shown on the Desktop. I don't use iCloud so I'm not much help, but I have seen posts mentioning that the behavior of the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads may be different (I believe I recall seeing options regarding these folder/locations in an iCloud System Preference).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 11:05 PM in response to heatherprince

Check the Finder preferences "Finder --> Preferences" and make sure "Hard Disks" is checked on the first tab ("General" tab).

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/72025-put-missing-drive-icon-on-mac-desktop/

You can also add items to the Sidebar as well. Click the "Sidebar" tab in the Finder preferences (third tab).

If you have iCloud enabled for syncing, then perhaps it is changing the behavior of the Desktop which may affect whether the drive icon is shown on the Desktop. I don't use iCloud so I'm not much help, but I have seen posts mentioning that the behavior of the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads may be different (I believe I recall seeing options regarding these folder/locations in an iCloud System Preference).

Feb 11, 2022 8:45 PM in response to HWTech

Actually, I have a very red face. I was looking at my iMac when I wrote that response. (It was late!)

Sorry to be such an idiot. I am still stuck with the same problem of the missing Macintosh icon on the desktop of my MacBook. I ran Disk Utility/First Aid just on a whim but that didn't work either. Thanks so much for your help. I guess the search for a solution is still current.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019). When I bought it the icon for the Macintosh HD appeared in the top right corner as with all my previous MacBooks and My iMac 27” desktop. Somehow, over the last few months that icon has disappeared. I don’t use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.