Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect a MacBook M1 Pro to iMac Display via Thunderbolt adapter

I just upgraded from my 13" MacBookPro 2018 to a 14" MacBookPro 2021 with the M1 Pro chip. I had been connecting to an iMac 27" as a second display via the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 converter cable. I have not been able to do this with the new MacBook. Is this no longer supp[orted?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 10:25 PM

Not supported.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed."

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 16, 2022 5:45 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Having the same problem on my MBA m1 + apple Thunderbolt Display, ever since I updated to Monterey 12.3 the screen went blank, speaker, mic, camera and ports work, the screen is detected in settings-display menu but no image just darkness.

Will give this a try, I ordered a thunderbolt 2 cable. If it works I'm posting in my own thread, there seems to be a lot of people experiencing this.

One quick question, when you solved the problem using the thunderbolt cable directly to monitor port, did you keep camera, speakers, mic and ports funtionality or was it all lost in the name of image?

Connect a MacBook M1 Pro to iMac Display via Thunderbolt adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.