You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac says don't have enough storage left to update

I have nothing but a few pics on my computer and it says it needs 17.7 to update to Monterey and when I check my storage it says I have enough, 17.8. When I started the Update I had 31 and I only needed 12 .. getting frustrated.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 9:50 AM

Also see:

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

Feb 11, 2022 9:44 AM in response to clarkieflys

Here are some thoughts which may be helpful. First, if the computer says that you need more storage to do that installation, you do. Second, where you look to see what storage you have is variable. The most reliable information will be to open Disk Utility and check it. You have three options. (1) Decide to forego any future OS upgrades. (2) Delete some pf your date to clear space. (3) Install an external disk. Copy those photos and other files to the external disk, then delete them from your hard drive to clear up needed space. Option 3 is the best. You will find that external disks are now, very compact, reasonably priced, there are many choices, and they are easy to install with a vendor provided USB cable. Most do not require any external power source. You may have to reformat it, however. That is the easiest solution.

Mac says don't have enough storage left to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.