You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will my Mac laptop not update when I have plenty of available storage?

Hello.

I have 124 GB of free disk space on my MacBook Air, but every time I try to upgrade to Monterey it tells me I don't have enough free storage. The update only requires 16.9 GB. How do I correct this issue?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 4:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 5:18 AM

Try and boot the Mac in the safe mode, to see if you can do the Monterey upgrade from there

For an intel Mac the way to boot in the safe mode will be

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

When the Mac is booted in the safe mode, go to system preferences>software update and try to perform the update

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2023 5:18 AM in response to npmccoy

Try and boot the Mac in the safe mode, to see if you can do the Monterey upgrade from there

For an intel Mac the way to boot in the safe mode will be

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

When the Mac is booted in the safe mode, go to system preferences>software update and try to perform the update

Why will my Mac laptop not update when I have plenty of available storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.