Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 3 says I completed my standing goal, without me even standing at all.

Apple watch series 3 says I completed my standing goal, without me even standing at all.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 4:43 PM

The Apple Watch accelerator tracks the movement of your Appel Watch, which is attached to your arm (or that is at least where most people have it attached).

If you move your Apple Watch arm a lot, the Apple Watch will think you are walking, swinging your arms in a natural manor.

I know that people that Knit, get huge Step counts, and of course their stand count is 100%.

And then there are kitchen workers that are standing all day, but their Apple Watch arm is on the wrist that is generally holding things, and not moving around much at all, while the other arm is chopping, or moving around pots and pans, etc... They miss many hours where they do not get stand credit.

And there was a recent report of someone that uses a walking treadmill under their desk, which means they are walking like crazy, but their arms are resting on the keyboard, and not moving at all. No step or stand credit.

You can lay in bed, and wave your Apple Watch around and get step and stand credit.

It all depends on what the accelerometer sees that matters.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 4:43 PM in response to cristy1990

The Apple Watch accelerator tracks the movement of your Appel Watch, which is attached to your arm (or that is at least where most people have it attached).

If you move your Apple Watch arm a lot, the Apple Watch will think you are walking, swinging your arms in a natural manor.

I know that people that Knit, get huge Step counts, and of course their stand count is 100%.

And then there are kitchen workers that are standing all day, but their Apple Watch arm is on the wrist that is generally holding things, and not moving around much at all, while the other arm is chopping, or moving around pots and pans, etc... They miss many hours where they do not get stand credit.

And there was a recent report of someone that uses a walking treadmill under their desk, which means they are walking like crazy, but their arms are resting on the keyboard, and not moving at all. No step or stand credit.

You can lay in bed, and wave your Apple Watch around and get step and stand credit.

It all depends on what the accelerometer sees that matters.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.