Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health data and backup

I had to restore my iPhone from a backup on my computer. All data from Health app has been lost. Is there any way to recover my history?

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 6:50 PM

Hi there _NaN_,

While restoring your iPhone from a backup would make it so it would be exactly how it was at the time the backup was made, this may be expected behavior you're seeing.

That being said, we'd like to help look into this to see if we're able to obtain any of your newer Health data.

Let's start with some basics:

1. As it may pertain to what's occurring, what was the reason you restored your iPhone from a backup?
  2. Was the backup you restored from on your computer an encrypted backup? In other words, did you have to enter a password on your computer to be able to choose the backup from which to restore?
  3. Did you have Health syncing with iCloud prior to restoring your iPhone? If yes, did you sign back into iCloud, and made sure the option is enabled under Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Health?
  4. Is the backup from which you restored made right before you restored your iPhone, or was it made a good while ago?

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2022 6:50 PM in response to _NaN_

Hi there _NaN_,

While restoring your iPhone from a backup would make it so it would be exactly how it was at the time the backup was made, this may be expected behavior you're seeing.

That being said, we'd like to help look into this to see if we're able to obtain any of your newer Health data.

Let's start with some basics:

1. As it may pertain to what's occurring, what was the reason you restored your iPhone from a backup?
  2. Was the backup you restored from on your computer an encrypted backup? In other words, did you have to enter a password on your computer to be able to choose the backup from which to restore?
  3. Did you have Health syncing with iCloud prior to restoring your iPhone? If yes, did you sign back into iCloud, and made sure the option is enabled under Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Health?
  4. Is the backup from which you restored made right before you restored your iPhone, or was it made a good while ago?

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2022 6:47 AM in response to bruno75

Hi bruno75,

thanks for taking the time to look at my question.

After updating to iOS 15.3, my iPhone Xr had started to behave erratically: it complained it had not enough memory left when there was more than 10Go available. Then icons disappeared and I tried to reboot the iPhone. When plugged in my computer, the console displayed messages from springboard complaining there was no space left on device. Another error mentioned a corrupt database. Then it started rebooting again and again without success. So I decided to follow the advice on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412. Then I restored my last backup, from a week before. But the backup did not include any health data.

No, I did not add another level of encryption for the backup. My hard drive is already encrypted with FileVault. I was not asked a password when I chose the backup. Now I see in the documentation that could explain why my Health data was not in the backup. I had no idea choosing not to encrypt the backup implied having only a partial backup.

No I did not use iCloud sync. It seemed to me uncomfortable to put such personal data in the cloud. I thought the disk backup was enough and safer.

the backup was from a week before, but I lost all Health data (years of data).

So, I understand it's a no.

Thanks for your help, have a nice day.

Health data and backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.