Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel MacBook Pro (Can't Boot from USB)

Hi. I think I went a little too aggressive in Disk Utility. I'm trying to boot from a bootable USB drive (Catalina) on a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro. I get to select my wifi network and it shows Install Catalina just fine but when it goes through the boot process I end up with apple.com/support message and the error -1008F. I've booted into Diagnostic mode and that actually worked and it said nothing was wrong. But I can't boot into Safe Mode and Recovery mode also ends with -1008F. Any help would be great.

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:29 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 12, 2022 5:29 PM in response to cortesr

cortesr wrote:

Hi. I think I went a little too aggressive in Disk Utility. I'm trying to boot from a bootable USB drive (Catalina) on a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro.

I get to select my wifi network and it shows Install Catalina just fine but when it goes through the boot process I end up with apple.com/support message and the error -1008F. I've booted into Diagnostic mode and that actually worked and it said nothing was wrong. But I can't boot into Safe Mode and Recovery mode also ends with -1008F. Any help would be great.

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 ...

Feb 12, 2022 7:37 PM in response to cortesr

cortesr wrote:

Wow. I searched Google the past week and this URL never showed up:

…I was able to start installing Catalina. Thanks!

I generally don’t use Google, as I’ve had decreasing search accuracy, increasing ads, and increasing SEO’d dreck found with that tool.

There are other search tools available (and that tend to be less SEO’d, and less ad-heavy), including DDG.

As a workaround for search issues and for thr SEO’d content increasingly filling the search tools, use the site: keyword in either Google or DDG to better target the search. e.g.: site:support.apple.com

Good that you got the Mac working.

Intel MacBook Pro (Can't Boot from USB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.