Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone "[my device name]" cannot be synched -402636777

I'm trying to synch my iPhone via USB since upgrading to OS 12.2 Monterey.

First, it takes two or three minutes for anything to appear in the Finder window after selecting the device. Then, when I select "Sync" I get the error message above.

Side Note: Could you make that message any less informative or helpful? What's the use of an error message if it doesn't tell me what's going on and how I might fix the problem?

Alternatively, I get an error message that reads:

"The iPhone "[my device name]" could not be synced because the sync session failed to start.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 5:47 PM

I don't sync my iPhone but I do use Finder to initiate backups from the iPhone to the Mac mini. Once connected via a Lightning cable, the iPhone shows up almost immediately in Finder.

Some things to check:

1) A trust relationship has been established between the two devices

2) Both devices are logged-in to the same AppleID (you might also want to try logging out and then back in to both devices)

3) The iPhone iOS is up-to-date (iOS 15.3 is the most recent version)

Also see: Find an iTunes or Finder error code

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2022 5:47 PM in response to jkknyc

I don't sync my iPhone but I do use Finder to initiate backups from the iPhone to the Mac mini. Once connected via a Lightning cable, the iPhone shows up almost immediately in Finder.

Some things to check:

1) A trust relationship has been established between the two devices

2) Both devices are logged-in to the same AppleID (you might also want to try logging out and then back in to both devices)

3) The iPhone iOS is up-to-date (iOS 15.3 is the most recent version)

Also see: Find an iTunes or Finder error code

The iPhone "[my device name]" cannot be synched -402636777

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.