Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my iPhone says it is being managed?

My iphone 12 acts out a lot--from not being allowed to create an email account, from being unable to install the icloud app, to reseting my settings on its own, to temporary inactivating the screen time to having double wallets (this anomaly disappears and then appears again if I reset all settings or update the phone. I have this specific question in a separate ask the community). I even had issues with the face ID (which seems resolved now). I also miss calls that do not arrive.

My question: What does it mean my iphone is being managed? This is my phone, and I am paying for it. No employer or school provided it to me. Is it possible my phone is being managed illegally, and thus the anomalies cited above? Kindly advise.

Thank you.

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 8:51 AM

It was not back up--theApple tech explained that to me. Two days later it began showing it is managed again. Too strange!

I have another question: why is that when I sign to this discussion forum, apple sends a code to my phone I do not get it? I have to request a text every time to be able to see it. Something to do with settings? Also perhaps because I am not signed in on my phone with my apple ID? Just wondering.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

It was not back up--theApple tech explained that to me. Two days later it began showing it is managed again. Too strange!

I have another question: why is that when I sign to this discussion forum, apple sends a code to my phone I do not get it? I have to request a text every time to be able to see it. Something to do with settings? Also perhaps because I am not signed in on my phone with my apple ID? Just wondering.

Feb 14, 2022 9:06 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This is my thought. I have no idea of whom would be able to do it, other than:

(1) a T-mobile salesperson/representative prior to selling us the phone (possible since my phone is having issues receiving calls and messages since the beginning and T-mobile reps seem to be unable to solve the issues or help),

(2) the Apple tech in Fresno who reinstalled the iOS in December. Very unlikely since I went there because of safety concerns I was having like the Wallet and FaceTime turning on by themselves.

(3) A very skilled hacker who can do it virtually. If I was to guess, I would say this is highly likely because my HP laptop with Windows also shows it is being managed, and this is my laptop purchased by me.

Now, the question is--if this is what is happening--why someone needs to manage my phone and laptop? Nobody I know need to do it, so it got to be for something illegal, right?

My other question is how to find out who is doing it, and how to make it stop? Will Apple investigate things like that?

Feb 13, 2022 2:45 PM in response to lobsterghost1

We got it from T-mobile store in Southern California. We got it new (this one being "free" as part of a Tmobile deal by one get one free with an account)

Just before Christmas I had the phone reseat at an Apple store in Fresno, ca. When the tech mentioned it was managed, I thought he was talking about not being able to be used by another carrier. There was no mentioning of belonging to a company or managed virtually (which appears to be).

Feb 16, 2022 11:24 AM in response to rj000

An update: I took my phone to an Apple store--before yesterday. The tech did not find anything wrong with my phone, and was unable to reproduce the things I have been showing here with screenshots. He completely erased the phone and reinstalled the iOS.

Guess what? The double Wallet app returned! The wallet settings were different too, with the allowing to use it on a Mac button turned on. Because I never used this app, nor I do not have a Mac or another apple product, I do not know if this is a normal setting post reinstallation or not. I removed my apple ID from my phone just to be safe, but I will have to use it eventually.

Now What is going on with this extra double wallet apple that keeps showing up and then disappearing? Is someone using my phone to send/receive $$$? Is this possible?

I am kind of getting tired of it.

Why my iPhone says it is being managed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.