Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2015 iMac randomly loses bluetooth connection with Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse and USB HDDs -all at the same time

The subject all but describes the problem: My late 2015, 27-1inch iMac is running Monterey 12.2.1 and at random times during the day (occasionally 2-3 times a day) it loses connection to my Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard, and then, one by one, my external, USB-connected, HDDs stop responding (I get the "Disk so-and-so was not ejected properly) and only a reboot will restore functionality.

I believe I started experiencing this issue after updating the system to Monterey 12.2.1.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 5:54 AM

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 26, 2022 12:53 AM in response to Chief_Interpreter

I’m facing the same issue and safe mode didn’t seem to help.

I’ll be working on the computer and after 15mins or so the external drives are “improperly ejected” and then all Bluetooth connections are dropped, which I need to interact with the computer.

I'm going to keep seeing how I can get around this, but disconnecting the external drive then stops me from doing Time Machine backups (another issue I’ve been facing with 12.2)…

Apr 4, 2022 10:38 PM in response to lllaass

The problem returned, probably after updating the system to Monterey 12.3.1.

I tried booting to Safe Mode, but this time the issue remains.

As you can understand, not only is this extremely annoying, but it also prevents me from working, since I can't even plug in a wired mouse to -at least- try and save the work I've done up to that point before restarting the machine.

Late 2015 iMac randomly loses bluetooth connection with Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse and USB HDDs -all at the same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.