Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth not working after monterey upgrade

Hi,

after upgrading to MacOS Monterey, I'm having issues with bluetooth. When I wake my imac every morning, my magic mouse and keyboard are not connected.

I have tried turning them both off and on again with no success and have rebooted the machine a couple of times. The only consistent solution is to connect a wired mouse to allow me to switch off bluetooth and back on again. Only then will the keyboard and mouse reconnect.

(I have also noticed that the keyboard is loosing charge vey quickly - I suspect because it's 'hunting' for a connection and using more e power)

I've never had this issue before. Any ideas other than, uninstalling the latest upgrade and going back to the last OS?

thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:11 AM

Apple needs an update to Monterey with a fix so users aren't going through a ridiculous time consuming Safe Mode "solution" plus having to go and buy something? GMAB

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 9, 2021 4:33 AM in response to duncanfrommacclesfield

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Nov 12, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Mal-S

I did this (actually this is what must have worked before, coz I remember doing it before as well, did it again just now).

Note, I tried the SMC method and everything I did before and it didn't work. So I traced back what I did (trials and errors) noticed this must be the working solution:

turned off BT and ran:

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

though it gave me error:

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil unload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Kernel request failed: (iokit/common) unsupported function (-536870201)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Kernel request failed: (iokit/common) unsupported function (-536870201)}

I then proceeded to do:

sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

Then opened my BT prefs, turned it ON and removed the device. Paired it again and it worked. I don't know if that error shows something wrong with the BT module.

got that from:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/251842/how-to-restart-bluetooth-service-from-command-line

Nov 22, 2021 3:23 PM in response to duncanfrommacclesfield

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Nov 12, 2021 4:29 AM in response to Mal-S

I have the same issue with my Bluetooth stereo headset, it connects and disconnects.

I can't get that menu to come up with the reset Bluetooth module. It changes but doesn't contain that entry. Any way to do this maybe through terminal?

Monterey has a broken Bluetooth module and Apple needs to fix this.

PS: I followed some Youtube video this morning that had a lot of methods to do this and it worked until when I had used the Bluetooth headset on my phone then came back to my laptop when it stopped working again. It means whatever is happening is happening over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIaM7aRthY&t=27s

In a nutshell I tried:

• tried that menu thing and it doesn't show on the menu like I explained
  • deleted Bluetooth.plist file (didn't work)
  • removed IP hiding from Safari and ...
  • did SMC reset and it worked (after trying to connect to it a few times) (but for me to keep on resetting my machine just to connect BT is a no no)

Whatever they changed in the OS is not working properly.

Nov 12, 2021 1:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

thanks rkaufmann87, I have followed the steps above but am still having the same issue with intermittent keyboard and mouse response.

What has changed is that powering the mouse and keyboard off and on seems to temporarily fix the problem(ie, I don't need to turn the computer's bluetooth our and on).

Any more ideas from anyone?

Nov 12, 2021 9:43 AM in response to emahuni

I have noticed something. This thing keeps happening as long as it disconnects. Any reconnections are unsuccessful.

However, the problem in my case is now proving to be related to something else entirely; the sound. When the BT is trying to change the sound from Speakers to the headset, it changes briefly then disconnects and disconnects the headset. Sometimes it connects the headset, and still the sound doesn't show option to play through BT. So I did this:

sudo pkill bluetoothd 
sudo pkill systemsoundserverd

reconnected headset and it worked. It seems like that bt kill command also works same as kextload...

I hope this helps with debugging this and getting us BT back.

Will update if I horn in further as I use it.

bluetooth not working after monterey upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.