Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update to any MacOS version, always error message saying "Not enough space"

No matter what version I try to get, Catalina, High Sierra, Big Sur, Mojave or etc, it won't work. For the newest version, Big Sur and Catalina it simply said it couldn't be installed. With Mojave and High Sierra, it said that there was not enough space on my Macbook Air for it to be installed, despite me just buying a 200 GB upgrade plan so that I had a chance of getting the update. I tried to manually install Sierra not from the app store, and when I did I got as far as selecting the disk before two yellow caution signs appeared over each disk and wouldn't let me proceed. Whenever I would hit "Learn more" on the error message, nothing would come up.

Having this outdated of a MacOS is becoming very very troublesome for me and I do not want to bother with getting a new one. Does anyone know how to fix this? Why is it saying I don't have enough space when I have a ton of space? Is there any possible way I can get even just the Sierra update? According to my startup disk, the current version I have is 10.12.6. I at least want to get 10.13 or higher. Please help, thank you!

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 1:21 PM

3 replies

Feb 15, 2022 3:21 AM in response to playlisthelp

Empty the Trash Bin on a regular basis

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Cannot update to any MacOS version, always error message saying "Not enough space"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.