Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 Screen Flickering

This issue has been brought up in the past and I am still looking for a resolution. This is driving me crazy!

Whenever more than 50% of the screen is "dark" (Any application running dark mode that takes up 50% of the screen real-estate.) It flickers to the point where it is unusable.

I have combed through every forum and there is no answer.

I have changed the HDMI cords multiple times, used Apple's USB'c AV dongle, tried different screens. This issue needs to be resolved asap as this has gone on too long!

Many people are having this issue and we need answers!

Please help!

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 10:07 AM

I have this exact same issue. I have tried 3 different monitors (buying and returning), and 3 different hdmi cables (2 of which were shorter 3’ top quality). I also tried a usb-c to hdmi dongle to bypass the mini’s hdmi slot. I have a sparse desk set up but also tried moving things around to create more space between the mini and the monitor and speakers. I even turned off and removed the speakers at one point. Absolutely nothing made a difference. We are entrenched in Apple products in our house; my disappointment and frustration in this issue and how Apple QA let this get thru and remain an issue on some units is ridiculous. The reports of this issue and the multi monitor issues flood the internet and have been reported to Apple thousands of times. Yet crickets from Apple. I initially filed for a return but decided to spend some time trying to solve the problem and then waited on Apple to perhaps issue a software update as some are talking about. Unfortunately my gamble did not pay off and my return window has expired. Two days ago I finally completely gave up and initiated a trade (loosing 120.00 plus my original taxes paid) to an iPad Air. I really don’t need it since my 10.2 iPad serves me just fine, but I did not want the trade value to drop even more by waiting. I no longer openly push people towards Apple and instead advise they spend a lot of time researching every discussion board they can find before blindly trusting Apple on their name and reputation alone.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 10:07 AM in response to MindPrintProductions

I have this exact same issue. I have tried 3 different monitors (buying and returning), and 3 different hdmi cables (2 of which were shorter 3’ top quality). I also tried a usb-c to hdmi dongle to bypass the mini’s hdmi slot. I have a sparse desk set up but also tried moving things around to create more space between the mini and the monitor and speakers. I even turned off and removed the speakers at one point. Absolutely nothing made a difference. We are entrenched in Apple products in our house; my disappointment and frustration in this issue and how Apple QA let this get thru and remain an issue on some units is ridiculous. The reports of this issue and the multi monitor issues flood the internet and have been reported to Apple thousands of times. Yet crickets from Apple. I initially filed for a return but decided to spend some time trying to solve the problem and then waited on Apple to perhaps issue a software update as some are talking about. Unfortunately my gamble did not pay off and my return window has expired. Two days ago I finally completely gave up and initiated a trade (loosing 120.00 plus my original taxes paid) to an iPad Air. I really don’t need it since my 10.2 iPad serves me just fine, but I did not want the trade value to drop even more by waiting. I no longer openly push people towards Apple and instead advise they spend a lot of time researching every discussion board they can find before blindly trusting Apple on their name and reputation alone.

Feb 15, 2022 9:57 AM in response to MindPrintProductions

What year model is the Mac Mini, what macOS is it running and what display are you using?

Keep in mind, this is a User to User forum and Apple does not read or participate here.

If you would like to send feedback directly to Apple, please use the following links.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Feb 16, 2022 7:56 AM in response to den.thed

Display Adaptive Sync/FreeSync™ Eye Care candy is off..

I have tried both those cables. I'm currently using a fiber optic HDMI cable capable of 8k 48GBPS.

Everyone that has this monitor and other monitors is having the same issues when using it with Mac Mini.

I did send a support message so thank you for sending those links in the previous post.

Mac Mini M1 Screen Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.