Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing Photos on an iPad

iPad Air 2 with iPadOS 15.3

I’m trying to manage the thousands of photos on my iPad. When I select some to erase off of my iPad, I get a challenge window stating if I proceed it will erase them off other devices and the cloud?

why is this not intuitive?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 12:38 PM

Hi OrganaicGrower, if you open the Photos app and long press a photo, it gives you the option to Share. When you press Share you get the option Save To Files. If you select this option you will be prompted to pick a destination to Share(save) that pic. Select "On My iPad" to save a picture locally. This pic (or I should say this copy of the pic) is now stored locally on the device. If you decide to edit or delete this particular copy saved to your local iPad, it effects only that device local copy.

The iCloud saved Photos is purposefully meant to be a shared network drive for your Apple Devices. It's how to access any photo taken on any Apple device which can be very useful. Put another way: you may be accessing the photos from your iPad but, in effect, you are looking at a photo on the shared iCloud Drive. However, the good news is, inside the Photos app, you can press the Select button in the upper right. This will allow you to select, in theory, an unlimited amount of photos to then press Share and select save to the local device. Repeat this process for any Apple device you want to have a local copy of the pic.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 12:38 PM in response to OrganicGrower

Hi OrganaicGrower, if you open the Photos app and long press a photo, it gives you the option to Share. When you press Share you get the option Save To Files. If you select this option you will be prompted to pick a destination to Share(save) that pic. Select "On My iPad" to save a picture locally. This pic (or I should say this copy of the pic) is now stored locally on the device. If you decide to edit or delete this particular copy saved to your local iPad, it effects only that device local copy.

The iCloud saved Photos is purposefully meant to be a shared network drive for your Apple Devices. It's how to access any photo taken on any Apple device which can be very useful. Put another way: you may be accessing the photos from your iPad but, in effect, you are looking at a photo on the shared iCloud Drive. However, the good news is, inside the Photos app, you can press the Select button in the upper right. This will allow you to select, in theory, an unlimited amount of photos to then press Share and select save to the local device. Repeat this process for any Apple device you want to have a local copy of the pic.

Feb 16, 2022 2:07 PM in response to OrganicGrower

To be clear, when you say you are going to delete all the photos on your iPad, you mean the photos saved/stored locally on the iPad (not photos saved from the iPad to the iCloud Drive), correct.

First, here is Apple Support's document on the subject. Definitely give it a review:

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

There is an "optimize storage" on the iPhone/Ipad. This will try to manage your local storage intelligently that will be aware of your iCloud storage too. It does what it does and should be a space benefit for your local device. With that said, I believe iCloud photos will still still take up some storage on your iPad/iPhone storing a low resolution image. I believe -- that means I think it will but I don't know it will -- you don't need to worry as much about the local storage. Optimize will offload to iCloud if you are adding locally saved photos/videos/files.

Managing Photos on an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.