Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open documents in folders

Frequently (though not always), I cannot open a document either by double-clicking or selecting it and then pressing Apple-O. When it happens, I cannot open the document no matter how many times I try to double-click or press Apple-O. The only way to open it will be:

1. to move the document outside of the folder, to the desktop, and then returning it to the same folder; or
  2. to close the folder and then re-open it.

I can then open the document with no problems.

Since it happens to both Word documents and Acrobat .pdf documents, and since moving them out of the folder helps, I'm guessing that this is a Mac OS problem, not a Microsoft or Adobe problem (but I cannot be certain). It is a relatively recent problem, but I cannot remember if it started with Monterey or started before the upgrade to Monterey.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Does anybody know how to fix it? It's not a fatal problem, since closing the folder and re-opening it always solves it, but it's mighty annoying and time-consuming!

L.M.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:29 PM

I do not recall seeing the problem here before.

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 20, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Lyn Murdock

Download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Feb 20, 2022 11:52 AM in response to lllaass

Okay, I booted in safe mode a couple of times last Wednesday, as soon as I received your suggestion, and then went back in the normal mode. Everything was fine for four days, and the problem did not recur. But it finally did today, and it's now happening frequently. So it appears that booting in safe mode and then back in normal mode does not solve my problem, at least not for the long haul.

L.M.

Feb 21, 2022 8:19 AM in response to Lyn Murdock

Finding: Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.cisco.videoguard10.uninstall.plist

Executable: /bin/sh ~/.cisco/VideoGuard/uninstall/cisco_videoguard10/condUninstall.sh

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Action: I do not know what this is. Is it soje type of security software?

Finding: Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/net.pulsesecure.UninstallPulse.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Pulse Secure/Pulse/Uninstall.app/Contents/Resources/uninstaller

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Action: This sees like security software. Can you disable it as a test?

Finding: Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

Action Not related to your problem but Silverlight is depreciated so I would uninstall it.

Finding: System Extensions:

[Running] com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension - version 1.0 (Sophos - 2020-11-14)

Application: /Applications/Sophos/Sophos Scan.app - version 1.0

Description: Scanning Services

Action: This seems like security/antivirus. Is it required for your work? I If not needed I would uninstall it.

Finding: [Not Loaded] PulseSecureFirewallSysExt - version 4.0 (Pulse Secure LLC - 2021-09-27)

Action: Can you disable this as a test?

Feb 21, 2022 8:32 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your feedback.

Pulse Secure is a PVC application that I need for my work, but it is not on most of the time. I only turn it on when I need PVC, a few minutes at a time, several times a year. Most of the time, it's off. I've also had it for years, whereas the current problem started happening only a few weeks ago.

Sophos is deactivated. I do not use it at all.

I have no idea what VideoGuard is. I'll investigate, and, if not necessary, I'll uninstall it.

I still think that, given the nature of the problem, the issue is with Mac OS, not with third-party software. Am I wrong?

L.M.

Unable to open documents in folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.