Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NO sound…at all…after 15.3.1 Update

My iPhone 8 Plus puts out NO sound, NO vibration, AND I cannot hear anything from the earpiece or the speaker when trying to make a call.

This has happened after EVERY SINGLE update I have done on this phone. However, in the past I have just been able to reset my phone - turn it off, then on again - and everything was fine. Not this time.

Also, I have already tried essentially every thing that Apple always lists: check Mute button, clean debris, turn off Bluetooth, make sure buttons are not stuck, etc. Again, NONE of this has been the culprit in the past, nor, is it this time. What did this update do to my phone? I cannot do ANY of the things on my phone that require sound. Zero. This is easily the most frustrated I have been with Apple’s service in the past 15 years.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the 15.3.1 update? This really sucks.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:05 PM

If you have a hearing or sound issue on your device then please try some of these processes to set it right

1. If you have a distorted sound issue on your iPhone --> If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad
  2. If you are not able to hear the other person, click this...>If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't ...
  3. If you only hear through speakerphone mode --> If your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode - Apple Support
  4. If the other person is not able to listen to you then please click this to identify the issue --> If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't ...

If the above options do not mitigate the issues then Contact your carrier and then Contact Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 11:05 PM in response to skoehlergh

If you have a hearing or sound issue on your device then please try some of these processes to set it right

1. If you have a distorted sound issue on your iPhone --> If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad
  2. If you are not able to hear the other person, click this...>If you can't hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn't ...
  3. If you only hear through speakerphone mode --> If your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode - Apple Support
  4. If the other person is not able to listen to you then please click this to identify the issue --> If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't ...

If the above options do not mitigate the issues then Contact your carrier and then Contact Apple Support

Mar 3, 2022 7:32 AM in response to skoehlergh

I do not have the 8 but the 11 pro max but had the same issue. Every update has been the same way, what I have had to do in order to fix this has been interesting and not necessary but it works.

1. Get your Bluetooth headphones and connect them, turn on your music of sorts (I use YouTube..you may not want to keep the headphones in your ears ), with the music on, tap the volume button on the side of the phone up as high as it will go. This should have made a difference and the volume of headphones should be louder.
  2. Repeat #1 but with an external speaker (if you use one and have one) this should accomplish the same effect as #1.
  3. If you have Apple corded headphones, insert them and do the same as #1 with the music. This should have brought the volume up again (possibly)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off disconnect everything and see if music will come through speakers on your iPhone.

If above has worked, even just one of those, call someone regular, then put them on speaker and then call back with FaceTime and see if you have sound. If you don’t, Apple is doing shady things.

I am curious if it works for anyone else, I will check back or reply to let me know if it did or didn’t work please.

Thank you and Good Luck.

Feb 24, 2022 10:51 AM in response to skoehlergh

I recently reluctantly replaced my iPhone 5s for a SE(2nd generation). Prior to getting the SE i did download the 15.1.3.1 on my 5s. It was a 3G non4G LTE and my carrier buffaloed me into the SE purchase. Long story, but the point is that these carriers are manipulating services to their own agenda. If you think this is a conspiracy then you might be right. I dont know.

i hope that your audio came back

יוי

NO sound…at all…after 15.3.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.