Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "delete song from playlist" function is broken

I have a 2020 MacBook Pro with MacOS Monterey.

The delete song from playlist function is broken.

When I go to delete a song from a playlist I

1. highlight the song
  2. go to the "Song" pulldown menu
  3. choice "Remove from Playlist" is greyed out and non-functional.

I can delete from library, but not from playlist.

This is not user error. If I cannot control my playlists, what is the use of using the Mac Music App. This needs to be fixed.

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 10:53 AM

13 replies

Feb 17, 2022 1:46 PM in response to Faochu MacSgian

I presume that you are looking at your local library, and not a home shared copy from another computer.

If you select a song within a playlist and right-click on it do you get a remove from playlist option?

Is this all songs in all lists, or a specific list that is affected?

To recreate an affected list you should be able to use Cmd A to select all, then right-click > Add to Playlist > New Playlist. Try it. Can you adjust songs in the new version.

For the avoidance of doubt this is a user to user support forum. You can send feedback to Feedback - macOS - Apple.

tt2

Feb 17, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Faochu MacSgian

Smart playlists are controlled by rules. Every song that matches the rule gets included. To exclude a particular song either change the rule, or change some property of the track in question. As an example you might only allow checked songs, to unchecking a song will remove it.

Playlist folders show the items that are in any of the playlists that are contained in the folder. To remove a song from a playlist folder you need to remove it from any of the playlists that it is in that are contained in the folder and its subfolders.

Apple are doing no such thing.

tt2

Feb 17, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Faochu MacSgian

Are these lists you created, or shared lists on the Apple Music service that you've chosen to add to your library? In the event that something has got broken in your library you could try selecting the items and creating a new list that you are able to edit, then delete the original, and finally rename the new copy to the original name.

tt2

Feb 17, 2022 3:21 PM in response to turingtest2

Your assumption is correct.

I do not get a remove from playlist option when right clicking

All songs on all playlists are effected.

I am loathe to make a new play list and rebuild the old one. That is a ******** of work which I should not have to do. This is a problem of either the OS not playing well with music or Music being screwed up.

Thanks for the link. I was aware that this was a community forum. I did not know where to send for help from the Tech side.

Feb 17, 2022 6:03 PM in response to Faochu MacSgian

I have Monterey. I don't have this issue and I don't see a rash of similar reports, so this looks to be problem with your library rather than a widespread issue. One thing you could try is to hold down option + cmd as you launch Music which opens it in safe mode. This can sometimes fix odd issues with the library.

When did the problem first arise? After an update to Monterey, or after transfering from a previous computer? I have a faint suspicion I've seen something about problems with playlists after rebuilding a library by importing an XML, but it was a while back and I may be misremembering.

It would be useful to at least know if you are able to create a new playlist and subsequently edit it.

Reach out to Apple Support for assistance.

tt2

The "delete song from playlist" function is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.