Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey menu bar - digital clock text color has changed from white to grey; how to solve?

For some reason the text color of the digital clock showing the date/time has changed from default white to low contrast grey.

I've tried different things, such as selecting different wall papers but the result is the same. On a light color wall paper text is black and the digital clock grey, on a dark color wall paper it is white/grey.

The analog clock has the right color but that one is not very useful to me.

Any suggestions on how to get back to all white or all black texts?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 2:29 PM

the issue you are having is actually a "feature". it tells you the status of DND at a glance. when Do Not Disturb is turned on, your clock will become "dim". when DND is turned off, your clock will become "bright". but if you place the DND icon on your menubar permanently the clock will stay "bright" regardless if DND is on or off.

to place the DND icon onto your menubar, just open "control centre" and drag and drop DND onto your menubar.

FYI: drag it by the text, not the icon.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 2:29 PM in response to RNKLN

the issue you are having is actually a "feature". it tells you the status of DND at a glance. when Do Not Disturb is turned on, your clock will become "dim". when DND is turned off, your clock will become "bright". but if you place the DND icon on your menubar permanently the clock will stay "bright" regardless if DND is on or off.

to place the DND icon onto your menubar, just open "control centre" and drag and drop DND onto your menubar.

FYI: drag it by the text, not the icon.

Mar 21, 2022 11:22 AM in response to Lei555

this "defect" is intentional.

when DND is turned on, the clock is dim.

but when it's off, the clock bright.

but if you place the DND icon permanently on the menubar the clock will stay bright regardless of if DND is turned off or on. instead, the DND icon goes dim or bright.

DND turned on:

DND turned off:

i can't imagine seeing apple "fixing" this "defect" when it is obviously an intentional design feature. however, you are of course free to send feedback to apple if you don't agree with their decision.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Mar 21, 2022 4:18 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you Jeffery, dragging the Focus to the bar solved the issue! I wanted to use the Focus function but also want to see the time/date. Your first post mentioned that but I didn't get it. Thanks for the second post to explain.

Just wondering, could dimming the time help focus? Apple usually has reasons behind everything. I just don't get this one.

Mar 21, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Stokestack

wether or not it makes sense for you, i had nothing to do with it. i'm sorry you are not happy, but i don't work for apple, and i have no say in how they do things. therefore, it's not my problem.

as far as the "focus" idea being an "ill-conceived mess" as you say, i must thoroughly disagree. i like to be able to work with my mac without the banners and sound effects distracting / interrupting me.

Monterey menu bar - digital clock text color has changed from white to grey; how to solve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.