Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iMac will not recognize classic ipod

Tried today to update my classic ipod. Haven't done since was on OSX. plugged it in and got a do not disconnect. then froze. doesn't show in disc utility but it does in system info. now just a frozen lump.

I have os 12.0.1 and music 1.2.0.273

iPod with Video

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 9:35 AM

It's not supposed to show in Disc Utility.

Look for it in Finder instead.

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 19, 2022 10:15 AM in response to Phil0124

hey phil

sorry for taking so long but had to run down iplod battery as frozen, then got busy.

after batt discharged plugged back in to power and seemed to work OK. did a hard reset to make sure starting from solid ground. reconnected to computer and lo-and-behold is in finder and is syncing right now and shows in 'music' Is syncing the entire library as I guessing now on music app instead of iTunes app.

has 11K songs to do so will take awhile.

will wait till back in business to post this

many thanks for all the help. much appreciated

went back to the classic after buying the ipod that looked like a iphone as just need a music player. one is connected to a bose wave radio in kitchen and other one is in workshop. also does duty in vehicle if goin on a trip.

I replaced the iPod drives w/SSD's so hopefully is bulletproof. Only concern is apple dropping support for these older models. (**** annoying) but then would have to try to install new music thru enable disc use feature hopefully

anyways, has finish restore w/all the music now, perfect

cheers and thnx

peter from frozen saskatchewan

new iMac will not recognize classic ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.