Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 11.4 and very old iPod

I have an original generation iPod Classic. Never had trouble syncing with my late model iMac which is updated to OS 11.4. Yesterday the iMac said the iPod couldn't be read. Further, as soon s the iPod is connected, it starts an auto sync which is unsuccessful because it tells me the iPod can't be read. When I try to eject, another prompt says: "The disk iPod wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it." So there is an endless cycle of non-syncing and non-ejecting and what was on the iPod is no longer there. Completely erased. Compatibility problem? Any solution?

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 2:58 PM

Thanks for replying. After calling Apple support who insisted that this primitive Ipod had an on/off switch and who, in the end, was no help, I somehow stumbled onto a solution, although I don't know what I did that I hadn't done before. One thing the Apple "tech" did tell me was to remove any other devices for the iMac before restarting it, and this was the only thing I hadn't done yesterday. Whatever--it synced and all is well. But someone needs to tell the youngsters that the ancient iPod artifact could only shut off by pressing down on the bottom of that crazy rotating wheel.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 2:58 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for replying. After calling Apple support who insisted that this primitive Ipod had an on/off switch and who, in the end, was no help, I somehow stumbled onto a solution, although I don't know what I did that I hadn't done before. One thing the Apple "tech" did tell me was to remove any other devices for the iMac before restarting it, and this was the only thing I hadn't done yesterday. Whatever--it synced and all is well. But someone needs to tell the youngsters that the ancient iPod artifact could only shut off by pressing down on the bottom of that crazy rotating wheel.

Imac 11.4 and very old iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.