Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Playlists on multiple computers?

So, this may be an impossible issue. There are a couple of factors. I have TRIED to set up my apple music library on a NAS server, but it seems whenever the computers reawaken they revert to the iTunes folder on the local drive. I was trying to get seamless sharing between devices using a shared iTunes library and I've given up on that for now as they can't seem to stay connected.

However, Since the music is accessible and downloadable on all devices, I would love to be able to share playlists. But when I try that, the playlists are empty and not really shared because the file locations of the songs are different (I assume that is the issue).

I am wondering if anyone has come up with a good solution. My Synology NAS seems to have an iTunes server, but I've not been able to get it to work.

TIA,

Jeff

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 12:23 PM

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some background on the typical layout of the library. Since iTunes 9 the media folder would normally be called iTunes Media. If you pick a location you can consolidate everything to it, then remove the originals from wherever they happen to be.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 27, 2022 12:17 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you. The path is the same, but when I take my laptop away, e.g., it creates a new iTunes folder on my computer. As a result, I've ended up with a mess of duplications. And since i have had iTunes for 20 years, the structure of it has changed over the years. Now I have this set up on the NAS and I am not sure what should be the default folders for iTunes. Should it be iTunes> iTunes Music or iTunes > Music, and the older one seems to be iTunes Media.

Sharing Playlists on multiple computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.