Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Without the owner password, you do not have permission to copy portions of the document.

I have a Mac Mini 2020 M1 model running macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I have the following issue on this computer...

I've received a few PDFs from work that when I try to copy the text in it or mark the

document, I get an error message saying: "Without the owner password, you do not have permission to copy portions of the document." Screengrab below:

This only happens when I try to do this in my M1 Mac Mini running Monterey.

If I open the exact same document in my Macbook Pro 2018 running macOS Mojave 10.14.6, I don't have this issue. I can easily copy, paste, annotate, do anything. The same PDF was synced across both computers with Dropbox.

1) I contacted the people that created and sent me this document and confirmed they are NOT password protecting the document.

2) I checked the permissions in the document itself, screenshot below.

This leads to believe that it's an issue with the OS itself. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 8:29 PM

ToneLoc98 Said:

"Without the owner password, you do not have permission to copy portions of the document.: [...]This leads to believe that it's an issue with the OS itself. Does anyone know how I can fix this?"

-------

Troubleshooting Permission Issues:

Open in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and try opening it. Then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Application/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when you came across this issue and hoe you have troubleshot it thus far.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 8:29 PM in response to ToneLoc98

ToneLoc98 Said:

"Without the owner password, you do not have permission to copy portions of the document.: [...]This leads to believe that it's an issue with the OS itself. Does anyone know how I can fix this?"

-------

Troubleshooting Permission Issues:

Open in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and try opening it. Then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Application/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when you came across this issue and hoe you have troubleshot it thus far.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

Without the owner password, you do not have permission to copy portions of the document.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.