Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Without the owner password, you do not have permission to insert, delete, or rotate pages of the document.

Why has this not been addressed properly by anyone at APPLE? This is so annoying. I created the document and it was digitally signed by my clients. there is no password. I am the only one with permissions on this computer so why is this asking for a password when I open the doc in PREVIEW? I entered my password that unlocks my Mac but that was useless and then it wouldn't let me cancel or unlock. IN fact, it just wouldn't do anything. I couldn't restart because that window wouldn't cancel and I cannot shut the computer down because that window remains open asking me for a password, or cancel or unlock, none of which works. GRRRR.

Sandie's 27" iMac

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:57 PM

It sounds like the document you are trying to open is password protected. While you may not have password protected the document perhaps someone else has done so. Or maybe the document is corrupt so the system thinks the document is password protected. Or maybe you need to use a newer version of macOS or a different app to access the document if the document was edited using a newer version of an app.

You can try Force Quitting the app which won't close properly.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If you cannot Force Quit the app that won't close normally, then you can force a system shutdown by holding the power button until the system powers off. I recommend pressing the Caps Lock key first so the Caps Lock key LED is lit so you know when the system has fully powered off. If you are using an Intel Mac, then you can perform an SMC Reset which will also force the Mac to power off.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 8:57 PM in response to ReagansMom

It sounds like the document you are trying to open is password protected. While you may not have password protected the document perhaps someone else has done so. Or maybe the document is corrupt so the system thinks the document is password protected. Or maybe you need to use a newer version of macOS or a different app to access the document if the document was edited using a newer version of an app.

You can try Force Quitting the app which won't close properly.

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

If you cannot Force Quit the app that won't close normally, then you can force a system shutdown by holding the power button until the system powers off. I recommend pressing the Caps Lock key first so the Caps Lock key LED is lit so you know when the system has fully powered off. If you are using an Intel Mac, then you can perform an SMC Reset which will also force the Mac to power off.

Without the owner password, you do not have permission to insert, delete, or rotate pages of the document.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.