Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TurboTax 2021 not working on Monterey 12.2.1 Feb 18, 2022 - here is what fixed it

On Feb 18, 2022 experienced a shutdown of TurboTax Deluxe 2021 after starting the application and it completed a check for updates before closing unexpectantly.  Restarting the software created a few bumps of the icon, a flashed message about checking for updates, and an immediate shutdown.  Intuit was not able to determine the cause or a fix.  Checking numerous internet messages of this same issue but no one had a solution.   (FYI I am using an iMac 2019, with MacOS Monterey version 12.2.1)

I last used TurboTax on January 16th when I installed it and imported last year’s data.  So this is not an initial installation issue.  

Apple Care did a real good job of trouble shooting the permissions etc. that might be at fault.   Determined that the software would work using a new user so then determined that there is some conflict between the Apple OS and Turbo Tax.   Here is what we did to fix the problem:

1) In Finder menu bar Select <GO> and Scroll Down to <GO TO FOLDER…> Then <ENTER>.  (See Screen Shot 1 below showing this just before you <ENTER>)

2) Screen Shot 2 shows what you need to enter on that top line.  Whatever is there you change it to exactly “~/Library/Preferences/” (without the quote marks) Then <ENTER> Note that exact entry, “~/Library/Preferences/”,  is reflected in the list below that entry of “Go to:”

3) Screen Shot 3 shows the Preferences after Scrolling Down to find file names like “com.intuit.turbotax.2021.plist”.  This screen shot shows only one, 2021, but there may be more similar for earlier years.   Select all of the “…Intuit.turbotax…”, “xxxx.plist” files and Delete them to Trash.

4) Go to Trash and Empty (i.e. Delete) the .plist files you just put there!

5) Select TurboTax and it should open as expected but you may still get that error message that “It Looks Like We Hit A Snag”.  I just ignore that as I have no idea what to say at this point. 

Screen Shot 1:

Screen Shot 2:

Screen Shot 3:

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:45 AM

This worked the first time I tried it, then it did not work after that. So, I found this link with instructions on how to delete all the Turbotax files so that you may reinstall Turbotax again. It worked great and I have had no more problems opening up Turbotax. You have to removed all the files in this list.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 9:45 AM in response to Williamfromroswell

This worked the first time I tried it, then it did not work after that. So, I found this link with instructions on how to delete all the Turbotax files so that you may reinstall Turbotax again. It worked great and I have had no more problems opening up Turbotax. You have to removed all the files in this list.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

Feb 25, 2022 8:27 AM in response to GrandBobH

GrandBobH, Two ideas; for the second time did you delete the .plist files from TRASH? and did you delete any other TT .plist files from previous years? I don't know why you have to do both of these but the Apple person helping me said to do that. I started TT today and it is still working but I get that goofy "We hit a Snag" message every time I start it up! (Sometimes I am reminded that Dilbert keeps predicting that this would happen!)

Mar 6, 2022 6:39 AM in response to Williamfromroswell

Wondering if you were all successful in filing? I spent an hour and a half on the phone yesterday with a turbotax person. No resolve and found this site after researching. My question is does your TurboTax Deluxe application actually say Deluxe for the software name? Strangely, the 2021 application is the only one that does not say Deluxe. I paid for Deluxe. The exact application name for all my TurboTax applications since 2008 are named "TurboTax Deluxe (year)". I don't want to spend more time trying to fix and then redo all my taxes and have a problem filing. I will have the federal and 2 states.

Mar 6, 2022 8:49 AM in response to GDappletax53

I have not attempted to file yet.   I am still able to download updates but still get the "Snag" download error message.

I did find the word “Deluxe” within the TurboTax 2021 application!  Look at the left side of the blue bar with the tabs and it says “intuit TurboTax Deluxe”.  

I looked at different locations and depending on where you look “Deluxe” may or may not appear.  For example on my iMac, “Force Quit Applications”, “Applications” folder in menu bar, “Icon” on desktop, and the “Applications” folder in Finder all just say “TurboTax 2021”.  The CD and the open application do include that the software is “Deluxe”.   But I did notice that the “Applications” folder in Finder does include “Deluxe” or “Premier” for my prior years dating  back to 2015 but not for 2021.   

Hope this helps!

Mar 20, 2022 6:47 PM in response to JimSwigart

I think I would try TT first if it is not opening at all. Then I would call Apple Support. I'm sorry that I don't have any other ideas because I just like you am so frustrated that most of what I do with non-Apple products (Office 365, Zoom, TT, and Audacity) just don't play well with Apple and Apple does not seem to be able to fix it (and it may not be their fault).

Mar 20, 2022 6:58 PM in response to Williamfromroswell

I have mine filed.

I ended up downloading a new 2021 Turbotax on my desktop Mac using a "different user" and started over.... (you get quite a few downloads, I think 6 or 7. For example we have me, my spouse and two children as users on my MAC. I had my teenage son help me and we used his user profile, he is pretty good at this computer stuff. We saved the 2020 tax file on a flash drive and moved that to his user side. I imported the 2020 file when it gave me the prompt and all went perfect including our two state downloads. Does this make sense?

Mar 20, 2022 7:00 PM in response to JimSwigart

I have mine filed.

I ended up downloading a new 2021 Turbotax on my desktop Mac using a "different user" and started over.... (you get quite a few downloads, I think 6 or 7. For example we have me, my spouse and two children as users on my MAC. I had my teenage son help me and we used his user profile, he is pretty good at this computer stuff. We saved the 2020 tax file on a flash drive and moved that to his user side. I imported the 2020

TurboTax 2021 not working on Monterey 12.2.1 Feb 18, 2022 - here is what fixed it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.