Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac Mini to MacBook Air 2013?

Hi, trying to connect my MacBook Air (2013) to my M1 Mac mini for use as an 2nd external monitor. I have 1 external monitor connected already to the Mini via HDMI so according to specs, I should be able to connect the Mini using the Thunderbolt 3 port to a USB A on the Macbook? Or does it need to be Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3? I've seen threads that Thunderbolt to Mini Display can work, I just don't have the correct cables currently.

Any advice on connecting these two machines would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update:

Tried the Thunderbolt 3 to USB A-didn't work.

Tried HDMI to HDMI/Mini Display adapter-didn't work

Tried Thunderbolt 3 to Display Port/Mini Display adapter-didn't work

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:34 PM

The M1 Mac Mini and MacBook Air do not support Target Display Mode using a cabled connection.

You can use Screen Sharing over your local network, but that is not the same as using a second external display with the Mac Mini.

If you want dual displays for the Mac Mini, then you need to connect a second external display to it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 1:34 PM in response to Jonathoneskel

The M1 Mac Mini and MacBook Air do not support Target Display Mode using a cabled connection.

You can use Screen Sharing over your local network, but that is not the same as using a second external display with the Mac Mini.

If you want dual displays for the Mac Mini, then you need to connect a second external display to it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

M1 Mac Mini to MacBook Air 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.