Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Mac Mini M1 to second VGA monitor

I have an HDMI monitor connected to the HDMI port.

I have connected a VGA monitor to one of the Thunderbolt ports.

If I use a Kramer adapter, it used to work sometimes, but now will not work. I think a system update changed this.

If I use a A1620 adapter (that is usually on my laptop), that will make the VGA monitor on the Mini work.

If I use the A1620 adapter, to get the Mini connected to the VGA monitor, then switch to the Kramer adapter, it will keep working until I reboot the computer.

It appears that at least some third-party adapters can work, as Apple has mentioned the Belkin adapter on https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJUZ2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-vga-adapter

That page does not specifically mention compatibility with the M1 Mini.

Should the Kramer USB-C to VGA adapter work on my Mac Mini without having to first prime the connection with an Apple adapter? The Kramer looks exactly like the Belkin adapter.

Is this Belkin adapter the only third-party device that will work with Apples?

Will this Belkin adapter (F2CU037dsWHTAPL) work with my M1 Mini?

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 8:32 AM

Hello Barnabas,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are having issues with third party adapters intermittently working with your Mac. We would love to help you with this. 

-If the Belkin adapter was suggested then thats what's going to be your best resource and the Kramer adapter may look like the Belkin adapter but the internal build would be different as both manufactures use different parts.

-The fact that the Kramer adapter intermittently worked when connected prior to an update and now doesnt connect unless done after the A1620 adapter has been connected could show a defect within the adaptor itself. Have you tried using that Kramer adapter with any other product?

-Lastly to answer your question about the Belkin adapter F2CU037dsWHTAPL working with your Mac M1. Yes it does, in fact if you use the same link that you posted and open the compatibility section it will show you that it is compatible.

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2021 8:32 AM in response to Barnabas

Hello Barnabas,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support communities. We understand that you are having issues with third party adapters intermittently working with your Mac. We would love to help you with this. 

-If the Belkin adapter was suggested then thats what's going to be your best resource and the Kramer adapter may look like the Belkin adapter but the internal build would be different as both manufactures use different parts.

-The fact that the Kramer adapter intermittently worked when connected prior to an update and now doesnt connect unless done after the A1620 adapter has been connected could show a defect within the adaptor itself. Have you tried using that Kramer adapter with any other product?

-Lastly to answer your question about the Belkin adapter F2CU037dsWHTAPL working with your Mac M1. Yes it does, in fact if you use the same link that you posted and open the compatibility section it will show you that it is compatible.

Thank you for allowing us to support you.

Have an awesome and productive day!

Jul 19, 2021 4:53 PM in response to charee144

I bought the Belkin adapter, and it works just as well (poorly) as the Kramer adapter.

If I boot the Mac Mini M1 with either the Belkin or Kramer adapter, the computer does NOT see the second monitor.

If I swap in the Apple Adapter, then it works, then I swap either the Belkin or Kramer adapter, and they each work.

However, as soon as I reboot the computer, both the Belkin and Kramer adapters do NOT work unless I start the whole swapping process over.

All three adapters work great on my MacBook Pro, 13" 2017, 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i5. If I restart my MacBook Pro with any of these three adapters the MacBook Pro sees the second display.

Can I trade in these two adapters that seem to work on all Macs except the M1 and get the Apple adapter?

Will the newer Apple adapter work as well as my four-year old Apple adapter?

Jul 20, 2021 7:29 AM in response to Teddy_B

Thanks for your suggestion to use an Apple branded product. I am using the product that Apple has claimed will work, and that I bought directly from Apple. It is half the cost of the Apple product, and I do not need the extra features that the Apple Product has. If Apple says the Belkin product works with my Mac, then it should.

I spent three hours in the Apple Help chat yesterday. The first three people tried to help, one said I had to call tech support, one said she was sales and could not help me, then all of them magically disappeared. The last person I chatted with walked me through some troubleshooting including removing preference files that might be causing the problem, and testing to see if a different user would have the same problem. He lined up one of their M1 experts to call me later today.

Jul 20, 2021 3:18 PM in response to Barnabas

I figure the time spent by hours of Apple support yesterday and today, as well as my time has far exceeded the $30 I saved by buying the Belkin adapter instead of the Apple Adapter.

I told the Apple guy today they need to put a note on their Belkin adapter webpage letting folks know that the adapter may not work with all M1 computers.

Jul 21, 2021 6:53 AM in response to Barnabas

I was using an IOGEAR GCS42UW6 KVM switch to switch this VGA monitor between two computers. I was switching the video only, not the keyboard and mouse. USB cables were connected appropriately to provide power. The other computer is a PowerPC G5, and it has never had any issues using this KVM switch.

I swapped out the IOGEAR KVM switch for a mechanical VGA switch.

Now all of the USB-C to VGA adapters work just fine.

What I learned is that display adapters may not work with an M1 Mac when you are using an electronic KVM switch or other display switcher.

Both of these UBB-C to VGA adapters work fine on my M1 without the electronic KVM switch.

Kramer ADC-U31C/GF $24

Belkin F2CU037dsWHTAPL $ 30

Connect Mac Mini M1 to second VGA monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.