Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no Wi-Fi icon on the first step titled “Activate Mac”

I see the menu with various options on the right side and on the left side is language and input control, no option for selecting Wi-Fi. My iMac 24 doesn’t have a Ethernet port.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 4:37 PM

Look in System Preferences - Network - ensure Wi-Fi is selected on the left panel - Click "Show Wi-Fi Status in Menu Bar" and you will see the Wi-Fi icon in the upper right of the display. Then select your network.

2 replies

Feb 19, 2022 5:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

My apologies, my question read outside of the support article I was referencing makes the question a bit ambiguous.

I was doing a factory reset on OS Monterey.

after selecting erase data from the apple support docs, the system boots into a recovery mode where it first attempts to activate the OS. This is a recovery window as there is no OS installed at this point. The recovery window does not have any options for Wi-Fi to enable, disable or options for display position. I’ve used keyboard tab keys to cycle the whole screen to ensure I didn’t miss a drop down. I also mouse selected all 3 drop downs on the screen. There is no Wi-Fi option.

Resolution: I literally did nothing, left the computer for approx 1 hour for dinner and when I returned the same screen had a Wi-Fi option in the top right just as you would expect when in the normal OS and in recovery mode.

There is no Wi-Fi icon on the first step titled “Activate Mac”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.